2012 242RESL water leak. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #1

Nova Scotia
2012 242RESL water leak.

Hi,, I'm wondering what you can ADD to the self leveling caulking that Dutchmen 'almost' seals their roofs with?
My issue is that I had a slow drip on my kitchen counter first summer I had my TT and cause it was close to my fridge I wrote it off. I left it set up on a lot all summer so it stayed contained. Upon moving it home for the winter when it rained out I had a constant puddle on my floor,, it was coming down through a light fixture. I realized that the A/C seal was leaking. I took it to a third party dealer and they informed me that my A/C unit was almost falling off and was probably never bolted down tight at the factory. They tightened it.
I took all the lights fixtures off, superheated the TT and put a couple fans in it to dry out the roof.

FFWD to this year, I just got home from a rainy weekend camping trip and I noticed that the bedroom light (Up Front) was faulty,,, off and on. I took it down and it was full of water. So, I looked up on the roof and everything seems fine but along the front roof seal (which sits on a ledge, sort of) that self leveling caulk looks like it covers but there are slivers of openings on that ledge that fall short of full coverage.
I don't know if this is my issue but I'd like to ADD something to it to fill those gaps. I don't have any place near me that I can purchase that stuff.
It may very well still be my A/C seal leaking forward. I checked the lights to the rear of the A/C and they're dry.

Another question is that I did buy the extended warranty,, they wouldn't go good for the tightening of the A/C because there was no actual damage and it wouldn't be much more than my deductable. lol I wonder if this causes mold or mildew if they'll cover it now or before the 5 years is up. It's a direct factory screwed up issue in my opinion,, BUT???
Anybody ever have to go after Dutchmen for anything like this?

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
Mold is the last thing I need in a new TT.

I think I'm just better off to SEAL what I can see, dry it up again and see what happens from there.

caper.

I should also add that I found an upper corner in my kitchen where the paneling is all pointy and rough,, almost like a lot of nails are wanting to come through,,, can't really notice it as it's in the shadows and hard to realize unless you run hand over it. Would this be some sort of delamination that everyone speaks of or just bad paneling?
Thanks ALL.
Sorry about the LONG STORY!!

caper_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

Tennessee
This is what you want to use on the roof. Clean everything with a medium to soft bristle brush and a mild cleaner. Some just use dish soap, NO Petroleum distillates.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 PM   #3

Nova Scotia
Thanks,, I actually found it in Canada. Not easy these days, just a lot more expensive.
Can I just add this on top and in the gaps?? I don't want to get into stripping off the old and resealing from scratch unless I have to.
I should order a couple tubes for future use. Does this stuff last in an unopen tube long? Caulking is notorious for hardening before you get to use it.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_6 View Post
Thanks,, I actually found it in Canada. Not easy these days, just a lot more expensive.
Can I just add this on top and in the gaps?? I don't want to get into stripping off the old and resealing from scratch unless I have to.
I should order a couple tubes for future use. Does this stuff last in an unopen tube long? Caulking is notorious for hardening before you get to use it.
Yes, just go over the old stuff after cleaning. I've had a tube for over a year and it was still good. I like to keep one around, I usually check my roof twice a year.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Maryland
I too had a similar problem with our new RV... I actually had two area's that were leaking. After applying the caulking several months ago on the small holes I found in those areas, I have not had any other problem. I too am planning on inspecting the roof often.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #6

Nova Scotia
Perfect,, thanks guys I'll order a couple tubes of that today. It's probably the only way to rule out the A/C seal as well I guess. Without physically removing it from the roof again.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_6 View Post
Perfect,, thanks guys I'll order a couple tubes of that today. It's probably the only way to rule out the A/C seal as well I guess. Without physically removing it from the roof again.
The A/C should/may have a gasket under it, not necessarily will it be caulked in.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #8

Nova Scotia
Yes, sorry sundancer gasket is what I meant to say for the A/C. I'm not sure if they lifted the unit and seated the gasket or just bolted it down tight.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

California
I would recommend the self leveling stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Dicor-Sel...4PDV9WY0XH4TAY
If the A/C isn't leaking any more I wouldn't mess with it. It should have a seal under it & the only way to check is to pull the A/C off. It isn't a hard job to do if needed.
Just ask if you need help as quite a few of us have done it.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #10

Texas
On most RV ACs, if you pull down the lower unit you may be able to get a visual on the foam compression seal.

No you don't want to mess with it and remove the upper unit unless it's damaged and needs to be replaced.

Try a few cranks on the long bolts that hold the upper and lower unit together to tighten it up from below. Not too much!!! And up top take the tube of Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant in a caulking gun, use a short piece of tubing to extend the tip so it will reach under the edge of the upper unit, and run a bead around the base of the compression seal.

That should tighten up the seal and with the caulk hopefully stop any leaks.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

Nova Scotia
Good Idea,, I'm not sure what they did when they tightened it last fall is my big issue. I spoke with them today and they're on the way to where we leave it for most of the summer so i'll get them to give it the once over when I go with it. I will mention running a bead on the upper half though,, never thought of that.
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I would recommend the self leveling stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Dicor-Sel...4PDV9WY0XH4TAY
If the A/C isn't leaking any more I wouldn't mess with it. It should have a seal under it & the only way to check is to pull the A/C off. It isn't a hard job to do if needed.
Just ask if you need help as quite a few of us have done it.
Yes, definitely self leveling for a horizontal surface, the link I posted is for the self leveling stuff, although the description isn't very good. It's also cheaper at other places, it's just that amazon is always going to come up first on a search.