1st trip ruined - brand new 298 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Ultra-Lite
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Texas
1st trip ruined - brand new 298

our BRAND new 298 didn't make it thru the first trip - the a/c blew out on Sunday - it was cycling on/off and when going off, we heard a "pop" and then the smell of burning wiring - hubby said we needed to turn around and head home and see about it

BTW - we had already discovered a leak under the bathroom sink - into the cabinet - can't find it - we went all over the area with dry paper towels - but - there had been a leak as the items on in that cabinet were soaking wet

we had decided to ""work-around"" the leak - just brushed our teeth in the kitchen sink - hey this "is" camping......right? but when the a/c issue happened we called the trip short - lost deposits on 4 parks and headed home - dropped rig at the dealer yesterday - they will try to hurry things as we have another trip planned in May

Any other suggestions? we are MORE than disappointed here - I won't even mention all the ""little" things we found which should have been picked up on the dealer check-out - like the credenza drawer pulled out on my foot......in pieces....and one of the a/c vents wasn't working - gosh - the ceiling board had not been cut away - and window shade that won't go up or down and and and....we were excited for our trip and took care of these things ourselves.

Appreciate any guidance - should I be calling someone at the headquarters? The link to customer service on the Dutchmen website does NOT work (?) - I have a toll free number but haven't called there yet - not happy campers here in Texas - for sure

TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Tennessee
My ac and refrigerator went bad within the first year, I also had a few minor leaks, some of the waterlines were loose where they connect to the faucets. Sounds a lot like the stuff almost everyone goes through with a new camper, that's why thorough pdi's are so important. Hopefully you have a good dealer and they can get you back on the road asap.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #3

Colorado
We've had our TT for 4 years now currently traveling full time in it. I still remember the week we picked it up. We were heading from CO to ID straight from the dealer for 2 weeks of camping. We got 4 days in and I went to empty and flush the black tank. As I was filling the black tank back up with fresh water to flush water started pouring out of the underbelly of the camper at the dump station! I emptied the tank, towed to our next camp spot and proceeded to drop the belly cover and see what was happening. It turned out I had a crack in the black tank. Luckily the split was over the 1/2 mark on the tank so we could use it "a little". It was a real PITA but we finished the trip and dropped it off to have the tank replaced (along with other issues). Fast forward to now and we've had years of adventure and fun in this thing.
My point is although it shouldn't be the norm most people seem to have some initial issues on pick up of their new TT. It's a real bummer but just stick with it and hopefully you'll have many years to enjoy it like us.
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

Illinois
There are always going to be small things that pop up, even after your warranty. It's part and parcel of owning a fiberglass box that you tow over bumpy roads for hundreds and thousands of miles. Bummer about forfeiting deposits and ruining your trip. This is why that pre-delivery inspection is so important. Not that it would catch the A/C but it would catch a lot of the aggravating small stuff. Get ready for a lot of headaches when in comes to poor quality in service, unless you are very lucky to have a great dealer. That is why most people do most of their own repairs; they want it done right, not a matter of the money. Beleive me, it's not like taking your car in for warranty work. Also, like the saying goes, you get more flies with honey. Try the nice approach first. Don't go in raging, otherwise, you'll never see your RV for you May outings. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote