1st long trip - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #1

1st long trip

Hello all
some feed back on our 1st 1000km trip ,tv-2011 serria 1500 cc 5.3 tow pack tt-2011 aerolite 269bhss 7000lbs loaded.We used 2.5 tanks of gas,fuel economy 9-10 mpg,i have to say the truck felt under powered on the long hills, 2nd gear 3800rpm engine and trannys temps ok .Learned some things going down hill, try to use your gears not your brakes (over heated the trailer brakes SCARY,)and slow down when crosswinds come up.I'm thinking i should have got 2500hd we only tow 5-6 times a year.
Salmon 16

salmon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #2

Washington
Re: 1st long trip

Some half ton trucks are better set up to tow than others, but I would think at the weight that you are towing, it would have performed better.
Do you have a very good weight distribution hitch as well as a good anti sway mechanism? What gears are you running in your truck? What is the hitch weight of your TT and what percentage of that takes up your total GVRW? What is the total towing weight your truck is rated for....does your TT take up nearly 100% of that rating?
I don't mean to be mean here, but we tow over 9,000 pounds with a half ton F150 with the Max Tow option (rated for 11,300 towing capacity). It has the ECOBOOST engine, 3.73 gears, 6 speed trans, and will tow that TT straight up a tree at 2,900 rpm in fourth gear.

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

British Columbia

I try to find the "sweet spot" where i don't have to drop a gear and still have throttle and the engine isn't screaming like in passing gear. I always always use my gears going down long steep hills . I don't have anti-sway mech..but if I feel the TT moving a little I apply only the trailer brakes through the brake controller...not as good as an anti sway mech but it will reduce the movement. I have heard some folk when going down hill will gear down to safe speed and manual apply trailer brakes only to control or check their speed.

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #4

the truck is 6 speed 3.42 tow rating 9500 lbs tongue weight 850-900 lbs ,close to the gvwr when loaded ,bikes, kayaks etc,wd hitch ,no sway control yet ,overall ok i think i was hoping for more.like you say just have find the sweet spot rpm's and gearing, a learning curve for sure.

salmon 16
salmon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #5

I here you man. I have a 1500 Ram Hemi pulling a 9000 lbs trailer. I guess i'm lucky with all the bell's & whistles on this thing, she pulls like a frieght train. And going down hill in Tow Haul mode i hardly have to touch the brakes.All you need to do is get your truck set up right & you will be good to go..I'm not an expert but i would say your truck is more than capable of pulling that traier..

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote