Yellowstone predicament - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #1

Missouri
Yellowstone predicament

Question for some seasoned travelers that have been to Yellowstone.

I am spending 6 nights this June. I have reservations at Fishing Bridge RV park. We picked this since it was in the park and has full hookups. From what I understand it is like a crowded parking lot, with no fires and no tables. However it appears to be a central location in the park, and getting the most out of our six days is the most important thing to me.

Now some of my party is talking about changing our stay to one of the campgrounds in West Yellowstone outside of the park.

I have never been YSNP before, and am looking for suggestions to maximize my vacation. Where do you think the best place to stay is.

Also I am coming from the east, we are stopping a Mt. Rushmore on the way.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
Question for some seasoned travelers that have been to Yellowstone.

I am spending 6 nights this June. I have reservations at Fishing Bridge RV park. We picked this since it was in the park and has full hookups. From what I understand it is like a crowded parking lot, with no fires and no tables. However it appears to be a central location in the park, and getting the most out of our six days is the most important thing to me.

Now some of my party is talking about changing our stay to one of the campgrounds in West Yellowstone outside of the park.

I have never been YSNP before, and am looking for suggestions to maximize my vacation. Where do you think the best place to stay is.

Also I am coming from the east, we are stopping a Mt. Rushmore on the way.
Eric,
When we visited Yellowstone in 2010 we stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park located in W. Yellowstone. According to my notes it is a very nice large park. It was mostly empty in Mid-May when we stayed there. Check this site:
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...rizzly-rv-park.
It's a bit of a drive to get to the main part of Yellowstone Natl Park from W. Yellowstone but that's because it's so large with a lot to see. Only problem with the drive is dealing with the looky-Lou's every time they see a bison by the road. If you're lucky you'll see the Bald Eagle in her nest as you drive in from the West.
Dave

Old 11-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #3

Wyoming
I've been to Yellowstone twice. I prefer the Gardner entrance better but have stayed in west Yellowstone as well. The drive into the park from the west gate is one of my favourites.
If you're going to see wildlife you'll find it best in early morning and evenings so a picnic table and firepit isn't going to be used much anyway. We did the hot springs, etc during the day when the wildlife was less active. We went back to the RV for dinner and then headed back until dark.
It's an awesome park and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Any specific questions just ask or pm me.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

Utah
I would agree with the defectors in your group. F.B.is a great site but there is so much more to see, plus West is a great place to visit. I have never seen the previous mentioned r.v. grizzly whatever so I can't comment on that other than I believe is is close to the hardware store.

Two years ago we had a similar trip plans and we were going to stay in the Madison c.g. and then F.B.... for one reason or another timing did not work for the Madison so we ended up at a place called Bakers Hole. It is sweet. They don't have full hook ups but about half have power. The Maddison river meanders through the campground offering great fishing or a fun float to ditch the heat. Also if you have never been on hy-89 Gallatin Canyon, I highly recommend a quick trip up to Big Sky for lunch or dinner. Also there is one of the best rodeo so ever that happens every weekend in West Yellowstone. Bakers Hole is first comefirst served but if you got there close to high noon you will not have a problem grabbing a spot. This is our spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1622  
bcs slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

Montana
I have a different mentality as a MT resident with relatively easy access to Yellowstone. I've been there more times than I can count, so I don't have a priority to stay in the park and in fact I avoid it. My wife and I love to boondock up Beaver Creek which drains into Hebgen Lake. It is never crowded and there are several primitive spots available only a few minutes drive from the highway. It is about a 20 minute drive from West Yellowstone. So that is an option for you, although your posts don't suggest you're interested in an even further drive and/or a primitive site.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #6

California
I'm not a MT resident but first time I was in Yellowstone was in 1959. I also have lost count of how many times I've been there. Main thing I can say is with only six days of being there you wouldn't come close to see everything this great NP has to offer.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Nevada
Here is my 3 cents... We were there this year in August. I have also been going there all my life, It is my favorite park. I would look at Madison campground or Canyon Campground. Both are located near the center of the park so you can do the upper loop one day and the lower loop the next. Still wont have enough time to see everything but plenty of time to see the best parts, and with Teton park to the south I highly recommend that as well as Gallatin highway to Big Sky . Enjoy your trip
BnTinNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #8

Arizona
Grizzly RV Park in W. Yellowstone gets my vote. We were there in 2012.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3712158125725.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1623   Click image for larger version

Name:	3712158965746.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1624  
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 AM   #9

California
We also camped at Grizzly RV Park and lived it! Very close to town and park. Clean park too!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:53 AM   #10

Colorado
Well, another guy that has been through Yellowstone more times than he can remember.

My question for you is:

Do you want to camp in an RV park, that is just that, an RV park where you have your rig and enjoy the park and hopefully the privacy there and the other campers there. If so, stay at one of the campgrounds in the park.

If you want to camp in an RV park that is just about "in" a town with restaurants, shops, you name it...then stay at one of the RV parks in and around West Yellowstone.

We're staying at the West Yellowstone KOA in August. From everything we can find, its a very nice place.

We're just not really into "boondocking". We enjoy the niceties of an RV park.

Flag Ranch is an RV park just outside the South entrance to the park. Stayed there one many years ago. Didn't care for it.

And others are correct, six days is not enough. Spend some time with the Yellowstone NP brochures you can get online and choose the things you want to see this time. You can't do it all in six days.

One suggestion I have, that will take a day, but is incredible. Take the Tower Junction exit from the park and drive up through Silver Gate, Cooke City and on up over the Beartooth Highway down into Red Lodge, MT. Poke about town for a bit, have lunch, then head back up over the Beartooth, back into the park and back to camp. Have done that ride 19 times on a Harley going to Sturgis and never failed to be impressed with the scenery and the ride!!

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:42 AM   #11

Montana
Living outside of Yellowstone for 30 years... here is my 2 cents... IF you want to have full hookups, you have only one choice in park, Fishing Bridge RV "Sardine Park, is what we call it... It is so crowded! I would suggest the East Entrance also, is close to fishing bridge... sites are on Forest Service, no electric unless you go to Wapiti/Rex Hale, but the sites are all along the river. Beautiful.. and usually never crowded, pull thru, back in, etc.
mtkodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:12 AM   #12

Nevada
hank you for the good advice. I eat sardines don't play with them.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:37 AM   #13

Arizona
Last year we chose to forego the craziness in the park and stayed at Yellowstones Edge RV park in Livingston Montana. We had our camper backed up to the river, a stones through from the river of no return wilderness and a great steakhouse in Livingston. It didn't take that long to hit the north entrance to the park. Yellowstone edge is an awesome campground...it has an entire Island in the middle of the river that is their dog park...connected by a foot bridge. We enjoyed it so much we extended our stay for a week. Plus they have a great happy hour where everyone brings munchies! Gotta love it!
2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS
Aztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #14

Colorado
We stayed in Island Park Idaho a couple of years ago. It is about 20 minutes from the West Yellowstone entrance. We found this campground to be just what we wanted, full hookups, out away from traffic and crowds, beautiful surroundings. sits below mountains on one side and a lake on the other. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to do the yellowstone trip. Plus at this campground individual campfires at each site which was a hard thing to find around the yellowstone area.

Once you have had a fill of the yellowstone experience, there are lots of things to do near by in Idaho. Go to see Big Springs. It is one of the feed waters for the snake river. This water just comes out of the ground calmly. This is also the location of Little Johnny Sack's cabin. Another good thing to tour. Go down river and see the awesome falls and visitor centers.

http://www.redrockrvpark.com/

http://www.islandparkidaho.com/JOHNNYSACK.html

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #15

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkodiak View Post
Living outside of Yellowstone for 30 years... here is my 2 cents... IF you want to have full hookups, you have only one choice in park, Fishing Bridge RV "Sardine Park, is what we call it... It is so crowded! I would suggest the East Entrance also, is close to fishing bridge... sites are on Forest Service, no electric unless you go to Wapiti/Rex Hale, but the sites are all along the river. Beautiful.. and usually never crowded, pull thru, back in, etc.
We did end up staying at Fishing Bridge. They have recently repaved the campground. So no more potholes as the reviewers on tripadvisor has complained.
We were very happy staying there and WILL stay there again when we go. It was centrally located in the park, with easy access to almost everything.
As for being packed in, well its true, but somehow it doesn't seem crowded. Plus, we normally left in the morning returned late in the day.
What other campground will you have a buffalo stop by and say hello!

The picture of the buffalo was taken from the front of my trailer, and the other on shows my trailer with my Dads Class C who met us for a few days.

I want to add one other thing. This Yellowstone trip was the best trip I have ever been on. Yellowstone is truly a nation treasure! In my opinion, regardless of where you stay, it should be on everyone's list to MUST do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1000863.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2416   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010104.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2417  

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.