Winter camping in South Carolina - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Ontario
Winter camping in South Carolina

My wife is retiring in June of next year and we would like to head down to South Carolina in the early winter, so I've got two questions:

1. Is winter camping possible?

2. If yes, any recommendations?

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:59 AM   #2

Yes, winter camping is good in all the southern states from NC down. The only place u might have a problem is in the hills around Spartanburg.. but snows there are usually later in the winter. I cannot recommend anyplace there as we usually camp in NC or Fla. If I were to go to SC, I would head to the coastal area. It is very pretty there. We may head up around Atlanta this weekend just for a little outing. We camp pretty much year around but stay in the south to avoid snows.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Absolutely! The coastal area is typically going to be more moderate in the temperature department than further inland. In fact places like Myrtle Beach are becoming year round destinations.

Depends on what you are specifically looking for. We are actually headed for the Savannah area the first week in December. New camp resort has just opened up. CreekFire MotorRanch going to give them a try.

We live in the Sandhills of NC and other than about a 4-6 week stretch from mid January to sometime in February the weather is very agreeable, there will be the occasional hard freeze but it usually comes right back up above freezing.

Summer weather is another story, but I don't mind heat.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Absolutely!

Depends on what you are specifically looking for. We are actually headed for the Savannah area the first week in December. New camp resort has just opened up. CreekFire MotorRanch going to give them a try.

Aaron
Let us know what you think of Creekfire MotorRanch after your visit. We've had our eye on that one too.
BYTchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYTchick View Post
Let us know what you think of Creekfire MotorRanch after your visit. We've had our eye on that one too.
Will do. We met some of their people at the Raleigh, NC RV show this past winter. Then my bride ran into one of the owner's on a plane. She has been following them on FB as they have been building it.

I'm just the truck driver, mechanic and bottle washer. I go where I'm told, but don't tell me how to get there.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

South Carolina
We live in the middle of SC. We usually don't camp between Nov and Feb. But when we do, or when it looks like it might get below freezing, our campground asks that we use a heated water supply hose to keep his pipes from breaking, too. His pipes are heated to the faucet head, and with our heated hose, the water is protected all the way to the camper body. Presumably, it's warm enough inside not to freeze. Tanks too, Don't drain or dump when freezing! What kind of place are you looking for here in SC? Coastal? Mid-state? Cheap/State Park? Full hookup private?

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote