Thinking of towing to Colorado - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #21

California
I've towed in Colorado quite a few times over the last 30+ years of Rving. This past summer we went from 4 corners to Durango and than over Wolf Creek Pass to Canyon City. This was the largest trailer I have towed yet all the passes I remember being bad were no big deal. Must have something to do with the 6.7l diesel in my F-350.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #22

Colorado
We live in Durango so the passes, Wolf Creek, Molas, Coal Bank, and even Red Mountain are a fact of life. A few mountain pass driving rules. Never go down faster than you can go up. Keep the trans in a very low gear so you don't need to use your brakes going down hill. Brakes should only be used to further slow you down or stop. I can put my truck trans in 2nd gear and only need to use my brakes for a couple of the tight switchback turns. My trailer weighs close to 20K loaded. Stay slow and stay safe!

4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #23

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
We live in Durango so the passes, Wolf Creek, Molas, Coal Bank, and even Red Mountain are a fact of life. A few mountain pass driving rules. Never go down faster than you can go up. Keep the trans in a very low gear so you don't need to use your brakes going down hill. Brakes should only be used to further slow you down or stop. I can put my truck trans in 2nd gear and only need to use my brakes for a couple of the tight switchback turns. My trailer weighs close to 20K loaded. Stay slow and stay safe!

Tom,

I would add, "drive to the conditions" to your list. We live at the top of the Hwy 5, better known as the Highway Through Hell. It comes as a great big surprise to people when there's a downpour or snows in July and they are upside down in the ditch, or bottom of the canyon.

Back in June we had a hail storm roll through, that collected 11 cars, SUVs and pick-ups.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:47 AM   #24

Colorado
buckeroo,

Plan in advance. Call the RV parks you're looking to stay in and ask for a pull-through spot.

The 3800 is actually 41' 11" long. LOL!!!

You will like the 14 ft garage if you're bringing a Side-by-Side or a pair or quads...or what ever!! Its very, very nice!!

Think about asking the Dealer to upgrade all four drain valves to Valterra electric valves and get two Valterra "twist on" valves for the outlet of the drain piping!!!

just thoughts....

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, colorado, mountains