Mt.Rushmore KOA - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Missouri
Mt.Rushmore KOA

We are heading to Yellowstone NP this summer and plan on stopping at Mt Rushmore for a few days to check out the area.

There are two KOA's that I am looking at. The MT Rushmore KOA and the Custer/Mt Rushmore KOA. The Mt Rushmore costs more and also as a $10 daily resort fee. Has anyone stayed at these? What's your opinion? We will be staying for 4 nights so the savings at the Custer/Mt Rushmore might buy a tank of gas..

Thanks

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Oklahoma
We stayed at the Mt Rushmore KOA a few years back and found that the campground was very well kept up and clean. It was a bit on the pricey side then too, but we were camping with two other families, totaling 14 people. We enjoyed our 3 day stay very much. For more comprehensive reviews, look it up on TripAdvisor.com . I have found their reviews to be very helpful.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

South Carolina
We used to live in Rapid City. Although KOA is where we generally look first, our favorite in the area was Big Pine Campground. It's been many years, but it still looks nice. Check it out: Big Pine Campground Custer South Dakota
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #4

Arizona
We loved our stay at Mt Rushmore KOA. Lots to do for the kids and for the parents.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
We used to live in Rapid City. Although KOA is where we generally look first, our favorite in the area was Big Pine Campground. It's been many years, but it still looks nice. Check it out: Big Pine Campground Custer South Dakota
Thanks, that does look nice.. I think we are going to give it a try. The Price looks pretty good too!

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 04-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Second Big Pine in Custer. We stayed there last summer (with our pop-up) and it was so nice compared to the other campgrounds you drive by in the area. This place actually had shade compared to other (parking lot types in the area). The Owner/Operators of the campground are the nicest and friendliest people ever. They bring you out to your site help you back in/ level if needed and will deliver fire wood right to your site. Its also only about a 20 min drive to Mt Rushmore.
AeroliteMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
We are heading to Yellowstone NP this summer and plan on stopping at Mt Rushmore for a few days to check out the area.

There are two KOA's that I am looking at. The MT Rushmore KOA and the Custer/Mt Rushmore KOA. The Mt Rushmore costs more and also as a $10 daily resort fee. Has anyone stayed at these? What's your opinion? We will be staying for 4 nights so the savings at the Custer/Mt Rushmore might buy a tank of gas..

Thanks
Just watch your schedule. Sturgis Motorcyle Rally is August 2nd thru the 9th. While very entertaining, place is packed a week or two before and a week after. Plus there is moderate "price gouging" at some of the local businesses. This year is the 75th Annual, so it will be especially busy, like 750,000 people. Most campgrounds are already booked during this time. Made my reservation last June and barely got a spot.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #8

Missouri
I made my reservations sometime ago, We will be the June 14 for 4 nights. First major stop on our Yellowstone adventure!

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #9

California
Quote:
I made my reservations sometime ago, We will be the June 14 for 4 nights. First major stop on our Yellowstone adventure!
The Black Hills & Mt. Rushmore are well worth seeing. If you have time stop in Cody & go through the Cody Museum.

Cody Firearms Museum | Buffalo Bill Center of the West
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:51 PM   #10

Nevada
Heading over that way also, but will be there early June, going to stay on the west side of Yellowstone first, then going over to Custer or Hill City...thanks for the info on Big Pine, will check it out
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 AM   #11

Colorado
Well...not quite...Sturgis bike week always begins on the first Saturday in August. This year the 1st and ends on Friday the 7th. But...this year is the 75th Sturgis. So it will be crazy in the Black Hills probably more than a week before and probably as much as two weeks after.

A few ideas on getting from the Black Hills to Yellowstone:

Go up to Belle Fourche, then to Alzada, Broadus, Lame Deer on Hwy 212 and you'll come to the Little Bighorn National Monument from the East.

From there, or South Dakota, you can leave from Sheridan, Wyoming head to Ranchester, then Dayton and up over the beautiful Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming following Hwy 14A and drop down into Lovell. Then Stay on 14A down to Cody and take in the museums.

Then head north on Hwy 120 to where it meets Hwy 296 where you'll be on the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway to where it meets Hwy 212. Turn West and pass through Cooke City and Silver Gate and on to the Tower Junction entrance to Yellowstone NP.

When you're set up in Yellowstone, take a day and go back to the Tower Junction gate, follow Hwy 212 back up to Cooke City and then up over the Beartooth Highway and down to Red Lodge Montana. Then back up over the Beartooth and back to camp.

When you're done in Yellowstone head down to Jackson, Wyoming. Either South from the park, through the Grand Tetons NP or from West Yellowstone head South in Idaho along the backside of the Teton, up over Teton Pass and down into Jackson.

Did a variety of these roads many, many a year on the way to Sturgis from Southern Colorado. All of them are simply incredible back roads, but all are in good shape and offer the very best!

Will be doing a fair bit of in July this year!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #12

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The Black Hills & Mt. Rushmore are well worth seeing. If you have time stop in Cody & go through the Cody Museum.

Cody Firearms Museum | Buffalo Bill Center of the West
We were planning on visiting Cody for a few hours on our way to Fishing Bridge RV Park.
I am a huge firearms enthusiast and am now very excited about the museum at Cody. Thanks for sharing the link.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
We were planning on visiting Cody for a few hours on our way to Fishing Bridge RV Park.
I am a huge firearms enthusiast and am now very excited about the museum at Cody. Thanks for sharing the link.
We took the same trip in the late 80's. Not only because of the Firearms museum, but the two "sister" museums at the same place, i.e. Western Art and Buffalo Bill's Wild West Artifacts (including a lot on Annie Oakley), added to the evening's fun at the Cody (tourist) rodeo made the stopover one of our most memorable days. We stayed the night. Kids loved Buffalo Bill's (dau still loves Annie Oakley). The rodeo had it all, i.e. guys, gals, roping, steers, bulls, and lots of horses. Perfect show for the tourists. Frankly, the family remembers it more than Yellowstone. (except for the part where I left a cooler outside and a lady Ranger came over and chewed us out - bear bait, you know. Yeah, "the kids" now both in their 30's, remember that, too! ) LOL
Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 AM   #14

Missouri
Just got back from a 2 week South Dakota and Yellowstone Trip. I thought I would share a few pictures.

Devils Tower is definitely worth the stop if you have time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000588.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	2317   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000605.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2318  

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 06-29-2015, 01:08 AM   #15

South Carolina
Quote:
Just got back from a 2 week South Dakota and Yellowstone Trip. I thought I would share a few pictures.
Great shots! That looks like the Devils Tower KOA. Am I right?
Old 06-29-2015, 01:31 AM   #16

Missouri
Quote:
Great shots! That looks like the Devils Tower KOA. Am I right?
Yes it is, if you can free a day to stay, its was well worth it.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 06-29-2015, 02:21 AM   #17

Missouri
Quote:

Sorry I posted these in the wrong thread!

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 06-29-2015, 02:32 AM   #18

Nevada
EricNSTL:
Great info, I only made it to yellowstone, had to come back early due to a family passing, I want to make it to Mount Rushmore, cody, and around the area

Rich
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #19

Missouri
When in Custer SD, we stayed at Big Pines Campground. The owners were terrific and it was a great campsite and a great price. It was recommended to me earlier in this thread, and it was great advice. So if in the Mount Rushmore area, you should consider this campground. Here is my site and another pic of the owners Ron and Angie. They were that nice we had to get a picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000466.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2322   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000484.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	2323  

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 06-29-2015, 03:13 AM   #20

South Carolina
Those young pups must have been teenagers when we were there! Very happy to hear it has been kept nice; always a great memory for us!