Marking your territory with pictures - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Camping & RVing > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
VIP Member

Marking your territory with pictures

We live 2 miles from a U. S. Army Corps of Engineers Campground on Carlyle Lake in Southern Illinois, largest lake in Illinois and 50 miles east of St. Louis, Mo. Fantastic campgrounds at the south end of the lake, called the Dam West Campgrounds. (The Government is really not very creative with naming facilities)
Anyway, we stay there 3 to 4 nights a week, every other week from April to the end of October, if we aren't traveling. $9 per night with a senior pass, you can't beat it. There are some campsites we like better than others and we start making our reservations in January, as soon as its allowed for the coming Spring. It is hard to remember what they look like in the dead of Winter. So we take pictures of every campsite, every time we are set up. I try to make certain all the important things are in the pictures, like locations of the satelllite dish, fire pit, unigue items to the site and how we have the trailer set up. These pictures are kept in a file named for the campground and titled by date. When making reservations for the future trips you can review these pictures for reference.

We do the same with any other campgrounds we stay at across the Country. Besides reference, its also a fun way to remember the good and the bad of all the places.

2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #2

Washington
Re: Marking your territory with pictures

Great idea....we'll have to start doing that!

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

California

I thought my campground log was organized! Now I'm not so sure. We take pictures of all our sites, but I don't have a specific folder for campsites. I might have to create one, that's a really great idea!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #4

British Columbia

Neat idea....will have to try it. We are not that we'll organized when comes to campgrounds...normally we know the good one from the not so good ones by the memories of the mosquito bites. LOL
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #5

It's amazing nowadays how you can just type the name of a CG into Google, and then choose images - you'll be surprised.

https://www.storenelson.com/rig1.jpg

CG's we've been to - https://tinyurl.com/c86vv8g
nelsonjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonjo
It's amazing nowadays how you can just type the name of a CG into Google, and then choose images - you'll be surprised.
Absolutely! Say you plan to stay at a KOA campground near the highway for a night's rest, while traveling, and you'll be arriving after dark. Take a look at it on Google Map, while planning the trip and you can see how it is layed out and where that entrance road is. We've missed a lot of entrance roads trying to see them in the dark or pull them out of all the lights.

Google Map - This even works for that WalMart you plan to stop at. There is one near Mt. Vernon, Illinois that has pipes across the entrances so the big trucks must go to the Truck Stops, instead of pulling in to the WalMart lot. We can get our travel trailer in the lot, but I wouldn't want to shave the top off a fifth wheel, because I didn't see the strong metal low arch.

Pre-planning takes some of the surprize and adventure away, but it also saves on some of the shock and pucker factor.

2010 Dutchmen Lite 25C-GS[/left:3djbo713]
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote