voltage 3950 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Ohio
voltage 3950

Hello all, Looking for voltage owners who can give some insight on a 3950. We have been looking at one, and can never get the sales associate to do anything to show us some of the options. We were wondering if the awnings have led lights in the outer end like the cyclone, and how the electric leveling system works. Can you lift the unit off the ground with the electric jacks? Thanks for all the input, we are just unsure about some of the things that we have read about the slides, water leaks, and leveling system. If I could get some assurance that those were just horror stories, I would feel much better. Thanks again

nsf10162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Oklahoma
The LEDs are cute but does one really need them on the awnings? The 2013 3800 doesn't have them that I've seen but then I usually retract them before dark so I don't have to do it in the middle of the night when the wind comes up.
Regarding the leveling system, it's easy, quick and very useful. You can lift the one side or the other off the ground to change a tire although it isn't recommended by the manufacturer. What is really nice is the system has a memory that will raise the front landing gear back to the same height as when you disconnected the unit from the truck.
Some slides leak and some don't. I just pulled the 3800 through a good rain storm in Joplin two days ago at 65mph and haven't discovered any water inside the unit. In Oklahoma, the same day as Moore's tornado it rained horizontal for most of the day and I didn't find any wetness inside the unit at that time either.
On a note regarding horizontal rain, I did drown my refrigerator's high temperature limit switch because of a design flaw with the circuit board's enclosure. The front of the enclosure is open to facilitate wiring connections therefore allowing water to reach the circuit board. When I get the new board I will relocate the enclosure from behind the outside ventilation panel.
Regarding the slides as with the leveling system, there's a learning curve. The important thing is to only retract the slides and extend when the unit is level. That ensures complete closure and opening of the sealing of the gaskets. The dealership doesn't worry with that so you may find the back of the slide closed tighter than the front or the front tighter than the back. When my slides have been extended for a time I usually spray a light coat of dry lubricant on the seals to ease the drag so the slides close fully. I may have to jockey them in and out a few times to get that complete closure but it's worth the effort of pushing a button as opposed to sopping up water or replacing a soggy floor.
Horror stories are out there, some of them are legitimate problems and others are operator's head space.

sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Ohio
My wife really likes the LEDs. So happy wife, happy life. Thanks for the response, I am open to all tips, and problems with these units. Thanks to all
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #4

Tennessee
We have a 3950 and love it! Absolutely no leaks in ours with slides in or out. Only Dutchmen issue we've had was a broken jack pin which appeared to be from factory mis-alignment. Dutchmen sent an entire front jack assembly as a replacement just in case of future damage to the jack or tube.

I have had to replace a maxxair fan, a slide topper that was getting water in it and a wireless entry keypad. All of these were covered by the respective manufacturers warranty and were of no fault of dutchmen.

I agree with sundancer 87 about levelling before opening the slides, I always have leveled first and never had a problem. And yes leveling jack motors are strong. Mine are electric (new units may have the hydraulic), but when my jack pin broke one jack easily lifted the entire front of the unit back up to my hitch level.

You can buy way better LED lights on amazon for $37 with a wireless rf remote. I did and use mine under the Voltage to accent the step areas. Not sure I'd let $37 lights sway my decision.

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #5

Ohio
Thanks micahmiles, good to know that those jacks are working great for that unit, I love the blue full body paint, and no the lights really are not the deciding factor, wife would just like them. Great to see that Dutchman really stepped up in helping with those repairs. These are the things that I need to hear to help with the decision. Wife wants to walk through a Cyclone 4100, so we are going to do that tonight. Thanks again
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsf10162 View Post
Thanks micahmiles, good to know that those jacks are working great for that unit, I love the blue full body paint, and no the lights really are not the deciding factor, wife would just like them. Great to see that Dutchman really stepped up in helping with those repairs. These are the things that I need to hear to help with the decision. Wife wants to walk through a Cyclone 4100, so we are going to do that tonight. Thanks again
We were also looking at the Cyclone made by Heartland. We ended up purchasing the 3895 Dutchmen Voltage. As you will see tonight there is no comparison between the two companies. Voltage design and features and overall finish is far Superior in the Dutchmen Voltage.
Good luck shopping and ask as many question as you can, because after you sign the paper your just a number to them.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #7

North Carolina
Did the same comparison Voltage 3895 vs Cyclone 3800 & 4100. Cyclone very nice unit, but really no comparison when it came right down to it. Have had the unit for 5 weeks and been out in it 4 times and heading out again this weekend.
It is at a dealer now getting some warranty things taken care of - but thats for another post.
We are very happy with our decision.
Treadwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #8

California
I'm picking up a 2013 Voltage 3950 in August. Can't wait. It's been a long time coming. Looked at the Cyclone, XLR, and a bunch of other rigs. NONE of them compare to the Voltage. It's just the nicest, bestest, mostest ever. It will be a massive improvement over the tow-behind we have now.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

Missouri
We have a 2010 Heartland Cyclone 3210. We have been looking at a 2014 Voltage 3895 full body paint. Really like the floor plan. Were a little discouraged about some of the comments we have seen with the slides operating and leaking (wonder if the slides were open or closed when they leaked). Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tina
luvharley179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvharley179 View Post
We have a 2010 Heartland Cyclone 3210. We have been looking at a 2014 Voltage 3895 full body paint. Really like the floor plan. Were a little discouraged about some of the comments we have seen with the slides operating and leaking (wonder if the slides were open or closed when they leaked). Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tina
Hi Tina

We have a 3895 full body paint. We have not had any slide problems (knock on wood) with our coach. I know a lot of other people have on this forum. Maybe someone that has will chime in. You are right about the floor plan ,we really like it.
Good luck in your hunt for a new rig.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #11

Missouri
1 step forward

Thanks waytogood. have you guys had any problems at all with yours.
luvharley179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #12

California
So far, after three trips to the desert, and 1080 miles of towing, we have had ZERO problems with slides. Rain has never even gotten anywhere near leaking in. Period. We have the 2013 Voltage 3950. Most of the Voltage models are the same build quality, floorplans differ, but much of the coach is the same model to model.

If you like the floorplan, then use that as your criteria for purchase. It doesn't matter which manufacturer you choose. I can find people from EVERY maker who are happy, and who are unhappy.

Hope this helps a little. Ultimately, you always take a risk when you buy a new coach. Small risk, hopefully. But you never know until you've lived in it for some time.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #13

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvharley179 View Post
...Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tina
TIna...

While I won't try to downplay any of the issues people have had on their rigs (including mine)... one thing to keep in perspective is that the number of owners on this forum in comparison with the number of owners overall is very small. Just a rough calculation off of the top of my head says that there are less than 25 of us Voltage owners here who are 'active'.

Of that 25, many of us are tinkerers. While I won't go so far as to say that we look for stuff to be wrong... by nature, we are ones who tend to find even the slightest things that either aren't right, or could have been made/done better.

Since Voltage units are high-end rigs, they have lots of various components that can & do have problems at times. And, it's an assembly line unit that almost entirely made by hand. With very little automation in the mix... one way to think of all of these rigs is like that of a 1950s & 1960's automobile. Sometimes a buyer got a honey... sometimes they got a lemon. Sometimes a new piece of technology worked great... sometimes it didn't until they worked the bugs out after a year or 2 (anyone remember the first automatic transmissions??).

All of that to say this: Overall I like my rig... but there are certainly areas that could have & should have been either assembled better, and/or could have been better thought out. I've been fortunate so far in that I've had no major repair issues. I have had a laundry list of minor items that required me to return the unit to a service center a couple of times to have corrected (warranty repairs). And there is also a sizable list of items that I've either repaired and/or modified myself.

The good news... if you purchase one, you've already found a great resource here to answer any questions you may have, or to get assistance with any issues that may come up.

Ok, I've rambled on enough I guess. Good luck with your decision.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #14

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
TIna...

While I won't try to downplay any of the issues people have had on their rigs (including mine)... one thing to keep in perspective is that the number of owners on this forum in comparison with the number of owners overall is very small. Just a rough calculation off of the top of my head says that there are less than 25 of us Voltage owners here who are 'active'.
ATCguy says it well. I have felt for some time that the smaller numbers of Voltage owners here tends to present a skewed look at reality. And being tinkerers, fussy, worrisome, and overly wrought mechanical types prone to sleepless nights dreaming of what could have been or should have been done, we have expectations that may outclass the mere mortal's.

So it is (with tongue in cheek) that I write these words. Buy the trailer that speaks to you emotionally. Let your feelings be your guide. The mechanics are just that. Man made parts that move. They will break, and can be repaired. What cannot be fixed, however, is how a coach makes you FEEL.

I just spent another two nights in mine. Just hauled it another 350 miles. And I loved every minute of it. Every second. I felt GREAT about my trailer, and you should feel the same way about yours, too.