Voltage 3200 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

North Carolina
Voltage 3200

Has anyone had any trouble with the 3200 Voltage toy hauler generator gas tank leaking gasoline? We have purchased 2 brand new units - both with the same problem that has been unresolved.

Raisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

Tennessee
I haven't YET! Are you looking for the source yourself? I would check hose connections. I think they have a filter outside of the tank look there for starters. More info may be helpful, leaking rear front middle?? Tank cracked itself? ?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

North Carolina
No hose problems or cracked tanks. The dealership and Dutchmen have both stated it is a tank design flaw - vented from the side versus the top. So beware. We are struggling with Dutchmen and a resolution. They stated they have submitted a new "tank design" to the tank company, but at the same time stated the tank itself was not a "defective" product. We are really concerned with the potential hazards this could create. So we completely drained both tanks. You may want to check your's more closely.
Raisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Oklahoma
electric fire

I just bought and brought home a 2015 voltage 3200 and I have spent now 3 nights in it. It is relatively hot temperatures outside and I was running both a/c units pretty hard at 72-73 degrees both zones. After turning them off, as I was going to leave the trailer in the backyard, I noticed a fan on and eventually located the hot labeled exhaust vent on and blowing hard - had not noticed this until turning the inside a/c off. I smelled electric fire and the smoke alarm went off. It turned off after I vented the trailer and turned the a/c's back on. No breakers tripped. Scouring the forums for anyone else with this possible glitch or hazard has come up dry so far. Not brand new to RV's but new enough to not have this one happen before. New to forum usage as well as a member so forgive if hijacked or not posted in the right category, etc.
hullflyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullflyer2 View Post
I just bought and brought home a 2015 voltage 3200 and I have spent now 3 nights in it. It is relatively hot temperatures outside and I was running both a/c units pretty hard at 72-73 degrees both zones. After turning them off, as I was going to leave the trailer in the backyard, I noticed a fan on and eventually located the hot labeled exhaust vent on and blowing hard - had not noticed this until turning the inside a/c off. I smelled electric fire and the smoke alarm went off. It turned off after I vented the trailer and turned the a/c's back on. No breakers tripped. Scouring the forums for anyone else with this possible glitch or hazard has come up dry so far. Not brand new to RV's but new enough to not have this one happen before. New to forum usage as well as a member so forgive if hijacked or not posted in the right category, etc.
Sounds like you had your thermostat set on auto mode. Which means while runing the air conditioners the heat (furnace) was Iintermittly come on while airs were running trying to keep temp adjusted? Example, if furnace is set to come on a 74 degrees and air condition set at 73 furnace will come on. It happened to me once thats how I found out. Personally I dont think it should be set up like that but it is. Not sure why the alarm would go off apparently theres more to it if thats the case.

When you try it again make sure thermostat is set on air condition only. When you push the button first off I'll bet it's in auto mode. Let us know.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #6

Oklahoma
Feeling kinda dumb

Before I checked your reply I had discovered just what you said. I thought I had turned it off but must have had it on auto and turned up the temp. But you are also right that there may be something else. The alarm went off with the strong burning odor. It smelt electrical, however everything looked ok on the surface fuse and breaker wise. I think it could be burning off "new" material in the ducts or the only furnace duct that was really weak was in the bedroom so my second theory was I have a duct loose that is supposed to be going to the bedroom and it is blowing hot air over the electronic boards right below it. I plan to call the dealer service dept tomorrow but thought I would throw it out there.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #7

Tennessee
Could be that new burn, I'll second that. Of course be cautious until confirmed. As for the bedroom heat vent, mine is weak too. Good luck...keep us in the loop and welcome to the forum
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #8

Oklahoma
another newbie question. Tried so many times to fire up the gas water heater and just the DSI fault light keeps coming on. Its the atwood combo 10 gal unit. I tried both tanks and they feel heavy and the other gas appliances work fine. With the cover off outside, saw at least one flash. That shower was cold, and I really don't want to repeat it. On a similar subject, I am not sure if the electric component is the way to go if you have the time to wait for it to heat. Is the logic usually fire it up initially with the gas and then keep it hot with electric and can you adjust the thermostat at all cause it sure is really hot (140?).
Old 08-11-2014, 01:27 AM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hullflyer2 View Post
The alarm went off with the strong burning odor. It smelt electrical
When my unit was new and out on it first extended trip, the wife and I kept smelling what smelled like burning wire. Everything continued to work well and we never had a smoke detector go off. On inspection with our first and only warrantee work the dealer found a bad transfer switch. After that was replaced, the smell was gone.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #10

Tennessee
I have a 2013 3200. My furnace smoked the first time I fired it also. Be sure to have it checked out though, it's way to dangerous to "guess" at the problem. I also have the same hot water tank. The only time I run the gas is when we are on generator power, the Electeric seems to heat just fine.
Coolbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:32 AM   #11

Mississippi
Two comments, on the A/C odor smell of something burning, if it was a new unit I agree with others in that zone 1 was in Auto. On the hot water heater of a new unit you may have to purge the air from the gas line to Hot Water Heater. Read the Hot Water manual for instructions or google search purging air from attwood gas hot water heater, also ensure you do or do not have an additional On/Off switch at outside unit, some have this switch and it also has to be to the On position when using electric element.

David
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #12

Oklahoma
good stuff, thanks guys
Old 08-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #13

Oklahoma
Took it all the way back to texas to the dealer and the rv tech from vermont said they regularly had the alarm go off like mine when firing up a new furnace. My smell is not that attuned but he said that's not electrical, rather plastic, and it is a combination of the dust and other stuff inside the ducts blowing out and burning as well as the coating on the furnace and ducts that is completely normal. While he was talking the alarm went off again. They opened it up and ran it for a while and I believe him that all is ok, but I'll be dang if I m sleeping in the cold in that at first. Gas startup was a matter of moving the mixture tube further back.

Next is the TV setup. Got the DVD in the back to play on the outside and back TVs but could not get the living room DVD player to play on the bedroom TV. Read here that that was the correct setup. Was that with a modification of were they talking cable rather than other inputs.