Newbies from Maryland - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #1

Maryland
Newbies from Maryland

Just finalizing the purchase of our 1st camper, a 2017 Dutchmen Aerolite 213RBSL. Can’t be happier with the purchase. Been searching for months and we are tired of looking at youtube videos, looking at hundreds of campers at 10-15 dealers, even travelling to nc to look at one. Ready to start rv-ing and experience the good and the bad...and yes I am aware of what I am getting in to..I think .

Looking to get mod/upgrade ideas as well as some great suggestions of areas to travel to. My ultimate goal is when we completely retire to travel to all 50 capitals in one year (ferry to Juneau and pretend we have camper in Hawaii).

2018 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat
GTULOWITZKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTULOWITZKY View Post
Just finalizing the purchase of our 1st camper, a 2017 Dutchmen Aerolite 213RBSL. Can’t be happier with the purchase. Been searching for months and we are tired of looking at youtube videos, looking at hundreds of campers at 10-15 dealers, even travelling to nc to look at one. Ready to start rv-ing and experience the good and the bad...and yes I am aware of what I am getting in to..I think .

Looking to get mod/upgrade ideas as well as some great suggestions of areas to travel to. My ultimate goal is when we completely retire to travel to all 50 capitals in one year (ferry to Juneau and pretend we have camper in Hawaii).

Congrats on your purchase. Don't be surprised, as you relax in your camper, that you don't start saying to yourself that you wish you had this, or that or can I add this or what can I do to see if I can wrangle more storage space... Also, you're going to spend about ten percent (or more) on "goodies" for camping. Don't be surprised. Make sure you get the list of check points for pre-delivery. Good luck!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

Tennessee
Wow, another 213, this group is growing. Welcome to the forum.
I've done a few mods to ours, but my favorite by far is getting rid of the dinette and getting a couch, we will never regret that one.

If you're interested...
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ette-5915.html
Old 07-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Don't be surprised, as you relax in your camper, that you don't start saying to yourself that you wish you had this, or that or can I add this or what can I do to see if I can wrangle more storage space... Also, you're going to spend about ten percent (or more) on "goodies" for camping. Don't be surprised. Make sure you get the list of check points for pre-delivery. Good luck!
I already have a list of 4 items I want to upgrade and I haven’t picked it up yet. I just hope I get my list finished before the wife gives me her list.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Wow, another 213, this group is growing. Welcome to the forum.
I've done a few mods to ours, but my favorite by far is getting rid of the dinette and getting a couch, we will never regret that one.

If you're interested...
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ette-5915.html
My upgrade list:
1) dinette to theatre seats
2) fold out steps to solid one piece steps
3) new tires
4) maxxair fan
5) charging station and fold-out desktop. I have a design in my head just have to put it on paper then find a builder. I am a thinker not a builder
Old 07-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #6

Maryland
Welcome Neighbor! Congrats on the purchase. We love pictures so please send when you can.

Latest mod I performed was to replace the manual dump valves with Barker Electric drain valves. At the end of last season, one of my cables broke so just replaced all of the valves with electrical ones... It's nice to be able to dump the tanks without going outside when it is pouring rain.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
Welcome Neighbor! Congrats on the purchase. We love pictures so please send when you can.

Latest mod I performed was to replace the manual dump valves with Barker Electric drain valves. At the end of last season, one of my cables broke so just replaced all of the valves with electrical ones... It's nice to be able to dump the tanks without going outside when it is pouring rain.
Thanks fellow Marylander. I like the idea of electric drain valves. I’m a newbie so right now everything “sounds” good. I am also not the handiest guy but I can follow directions and YouTube videos. I will add this to my future mod list. BTW, any good camping areas in Carroll County I should consider? For a couple months we will be taking 100 mile trips just to shake things out.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTULOWITZKY View Post
My upgrade list:
1) dinette to theatre seats
2) fold out steps to solid one piece steps
3) new tires
4) maxxair fan
5) charging station and fold-out desktop. I have a design in my head just have to put it on paper then find a builder. I am a thinker not a builder
Don't forget to get the weather cover for the maxxair fan. get the removable one.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
Don't forget to get the weather cover for the maxxair fan. get the removable one.
Thank you for the reminder. I didn't know they came without a cover. That is good to know.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:36 PM   #10

Florida
It comes with a cover that opens up when you turn it on but if you intend to use it in the rain, you need the aux cover.

one of these:

https://www.campingworld.com/maxxair...iABEgIp8fD_BwE
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #11

Maryland
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:31 PM   #12

Maryland
Quote:
I downloaded the check points and most of this was done when my wife and I looked at the camper. Since I am a newbie and also decided to pony-up $299 to pay for a professional service to do the inspection. It just gave us peace of mind that the rig was in good shape. The report came back with the 2 very minor issues that the owner pointed out but one I missed. I feel comfortable paying for the service since I am getting about $5000 off 2017 value. That is why I jumped on this gem immediately. So laying and extra hundred for an additional inspection gave me peace. I do have a friend still looking for his first camper and I will pass the list along to him. A lot of thought went into that document.