Newbie - sorta - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #1

Georgia
Newbie - sorta

Hey Gang, thanks for the add.

We are new to this forum, but not new to camping. We formerly had a '96 Coleman Sun Valley PUP but recently "upgraded" to a 2002 Kodiak K215 Hybrid. I use the term upgrade loosely as it does have an oven, hard sides, a bathroom and more interior space than out PUP, but it's a project. There's water damage from a leaking roof and not being stored properly (the back bunk tenting is rotten from being stored full of water), at least one burst pipe from not being winterized, fridge doesn't work, and it was full of roaches. Hopefully these are fixes that I can do easily and without spending a lot. Will probably start a post with before, during and after photos and updates as we go along.

Brian Smith and family

Smithdad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #2

Florida
Welcome Brian.......
Projects get our attention quickly, we love to see progress documented in pictures.
Have fun!

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #3

Oregon
Enjoy your project Brian. Looking forward to pictures Welcome to the forum!
Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you are taking on project and a half. Good luck and keep us posted as it goes.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #5

Alaska
From Soccerloco now wbgran. Have been a member since 2014. Forgot password but couldn’t reset. Still have my voltage. Had a major issue with traveler satellite finally resolved. Also converted to wet bolts. Finally had my living room slide fail. Parts had to be manufactured and waiting for delivery will finally get use of my warranty. Also at 450 hours generator quit running also an extended warranty item

Bill
Wbgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #6

Nevada
Brian,
Big Job, but fun, work on all the water leaks first, to see if you are going to keep going, see if the frame from the water leaks are bad, brakes, bearing, etc. next, then look around for replacement parts. Looks like it may have been siting for a while, Good luck, ask questions here, there are a lot of us that have worked on RV's
Rich
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:22 AM   #7

North Carolina
Projects can be fun, or an aggravation. Once you get the leaks fixed it gets a lot easier. The plumbing is probably an easy fix. I had an old motorhome that I had to make leak repairs on (rubber roof). Do what you need to do to get it dry under the rubber before you try to fix it. Putting anything over wet wood is a waste of time. I initially used EPDM liquid rubber, not the stuff from Camping World. I bought a 5 gallon can, mixed up the two parts, and rolled it on. Then I put a gallon in the fridge and climbed back up there about six months later and touched up any spots that looked like they needed it. That worked for a few years. Also, when you find a leak assume there's another one...meaning crawl around up there and look real close for small tears and holes, especially on the edges where the rubber rolls over the sides. The Eternabond tape is a good product but again, stick it over a hole where moisture is under the rubber and it will fail in a few months.

I cut up the rubber to expose the wet plywood and let it sit in the hot sun for a couple of days. It was as dry as the desert when I started recovering the roof. That lasted till the day I sold it and beyond I assume. The fridge probably need to be replaced. Some people just put a small college dorm type fridge in that hole and just run on 110 volts. An RV fridge is expensive. When we bought the motorhome years ago it had a brand new three way fridge in it.

I worked on that old motorhome constantly but, everything worked and was reliable.

falconbrother is offline   Reply With Quote