Newbie fro Idaho - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2020, 06:46 PM   #1

Idaho
Newbie fro Idaho

So I have dreamed of having a trailer to tow around since we moved out west 5 years ago. We have put down a deposit and are waiting to pick up a new to us Aspen Trail 2810bhs. I am so excited and nervous at the same time looking forward to making great memories with my family exploring and having a great place to stay.

Negoodwin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #2

Florida
That can be a great experience or a nightmare sometimes. The best advice is to watch those tires. I hear that 5 years max and most less than that. Blowouts happen at the worst time and they can cause thousands of dollars worth of damage to the side of your rv. That is the scary part but the time traveling and camping is second to none so enjoy your new adventure

edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #3

Idaho
The tires aren’t 5 years old, the trailer is a 2018. Sorry for the confusion we moved 5 years ago from the east coast, I’ve wanted a trailer ever since we got here.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #4

Florida
Congratulations on your future purchase and welcome to the forum. best advice I can give you is to do a quick search on this site and look for pre-delivery checklists... there are several and they are VERY MUCH worth your time to read some of the threads.

Again, Welcome and congrats.

Frank
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #5

South Carolina
Congrats and Best of Luck.

First upgrade? TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR.

There is a reason tires were brought up.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #6

Idaho
Thanks yes I have read a few posts about PDI checklist. I never thought about TPMS for trailer tires. I’m looking into solar already, I’ll add that to the list.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #7

Oregon
Been rving for 50+ years, don't leave home without extra fuses and a basic too box!

Other than that enjoy!
Old 01-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #8

California
Also, even if headed to a campground that has hookups its always a good idea to put 10 or so gallons of fresh water in the tank in case you need to stop and use the toilet or maybe wash up for some reason.

Screwdriver with multiple fittings for Phillips, flat, torx and that square head that seems to be so common in trailers. Pliers, duct and electrical tape, multi-meter. Teflon tape is nice too when the hose leaks at the fitting on your rig. Something to prop your fridge open when it is turned off and in storage so it doesn’t get mildewed. And if you want to make the investment it is really nice to have a cordless driver that has enough power to crank down (and up) your stabilizers so you don’t have to wind that tool on your own. You can use it to fix other things too of course. Folding step stool to reach up high depending on trailer design. Oh, also nice if you have a tandem axle trailer to have a “trailer aid” that lets you drive your good tire on the ramp so your blown tire is off the ground without needing a jack. Saves the headache of dealing with a jack and also much more stable and fast.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #9

Montana
Solar is great, I'm a big proponent. But as this is your first trailer, I suggest learning how you will use it and what a typical power consumption for you is before throwing solar at it. But certainly feel free to ask any questions.
Some good intro material on a camper's 12V power system:
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negoodwin04 View Post
So I have dreamed of having a trailer to tow around since we moved out west 5 years ago. We have put down a deposit and are waiting to pick up a new to us Aspen Trail 2810bhs. I am so excited and nervous at the same time looking forward to making great memories with my family exploring and having a great place to stay.
What is your question?
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #11

Illinois
No question, just excited and announcing. Congratulations Negoodwin04! Keep us posted.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:12 AM   #12

California
Upgrade your batteries to 1 or 2 pair of 6V golf-cart sized ones if you have the room. That will nearly double your storage AH. Also upgrade your stock converter to a 3 or 4 stage. See bestconverter.com

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote