Newbie and I am a girl! HELP @@ - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #1

Georgia
Newbie and I am a girl! HELP @@

Hi I have a 2004 Colorado 27RL-M5 and I have read the entire manual and it is not specific as to where I turn on the inverter when not plugged into 120v electric for when I want to use the 12V power dry docking.

Can anyone help me locate the inverter or explain how I use the 12V option?

Thank you!!

sunmoon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:17 AM   #2

Arizona
Well, let's try this. First of all an inverter takes 12 v power and allows you to use AC with it. Inverters are usually added as aftermarket items to an RV when you have a large battery array and/or solar. Are you sure you have one? Typically , if installed, you don't need to turn it on...it is integrated into your power system.

You shouldn't have to do anything to use your 12 volt power in your unit. That is assuming you have a charged battery or are plugged into AC. The converter will take the AC and move it to 12 v. So, most of the light fixtures, etc are wired for 12 v already.
Again, this is assuming that your converter is working.
It is pretty late so
I am not sure if this is helping any. Maybe someone who has a better understanding of rv power can chime in.

2015 Polaris Ranger 900 EPS
Aztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Michigan
Be aware that only 12V appliances are going to work when you are not plugged in. That will include things like lights, refrigerator, water pump, etc.; but will not include things like the microwave and air conditioner. The furnace will work if you have enough battery capacity but will run the battery down fast.

You don't need to do anything to use 12V when not plugged in - providing you have a 12V battery installed and functioning.

Inverters are not very common on RV's. You may be mistaking an inverter for a converter. All RV's have a converter which changes 120V power to 12V power when you are plugged in.

Are you experiencing problems getting the 12V to work when not plugged in? Be more specific about your questions and maybe we can help figure out if you have a problem or not.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #4

Montana
What Aztec said. Nickthehunter is right, too. It sounds like you know what an inverter does, but it is almost always an aftermarket addition.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Tennessee
You also may have a power disconnect by the battery (it may be off) , it's there to disconnect the battery for storage so it won't get run down by parasitic loads. My radio light and C02 detector will kill my battery in a week if I don't throw the disconnect.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
You also may have a power disconnect by the battery (it may be off) , it's there to disconnect the battery for storage so it won't get run down by parasitic loads. My radio light and C02 detector will kill my battery in a week if I don't throw the disconnect.
Also just a heads up, it appears that quite a few things AREN'T being disconnected when the battery disconnect is pulled. Need the check and verify.

In sunmoon7's case it sounds like either the battery is missing, dead or not hooked up properly. Things like lights should come on when on battery. First thing I would check would be the little circuit breaker on the trailer tongue, assuming that the battery has a charge and is present and accounted for.

Next would be a disconnect then the fuses in the Converter.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote