New Voltage 3818 - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2015, 03:03 AM   #21

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Oh come one Arlan, its not that bad!! We've been able to find an RV park that will fit our monster rig just about everywhere we have wanted to go.

One thing...being baby boomers...retired four years now...we're finding that if you want to get in the good parks at the good places...you better make your reservations a year in advance!! No less than six months! And I'm thinking as time goes one...its gonna get worse!!

Pirate
I guess I look at it differently. I don't really care to go to RV Parks with all the people. Some are set up and living there full time, skirted, big propane tanks and years of junk. I love the Eastern Sierra Nevada range. The Voltage won't do any of it.

A couple of days ago we were camped in National Forest just north of Ketcham Idaho. We took off in the truck in search of another spot to boon-dock or even a USFS campground. Another spot I would have loved to have camped was Stanley Lake, impossible. After searching dozens of spots we found nothing.

One USFS campground had several really nice back in spots open, it was beautiful there, right on the Salmon River, but in order to get out of the campground you had to navigate a loop turn that would never have handled the Voltage.

I intend to keep it (for awhile) for the desert and dunes but as far as going where I want to go in the really great country. No, it does not fit. A lot of roads are out also.

I realize that a lot of folks like RV Campgrounds with the 50 amp, water and sewer. If that is what you want, great. That is just not what I want in a camping experience.

I am fortunate enough to have both the Voltage and my Truck Camper. Next year I won't take the Voltage for the summer adventure.

Arlan

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:18 AM   #22

Wyoming
My opinion...

There's RV'ing... and then there's camping. Two completely different things... and I did enough of the latter when I was 30 years younger & dressed like a tree to know that I don't really care to any more of it again.

These days, I admit it. I prefer my creature comforts. My Tempurpedic bed, air conditioning, comfy seating, big screen TVs... and bringing my motorcycle with me. Can't have that with a small camper.

There are pros & cons with each. Thankfully, we all have different priorities, and like different things. Otherwise, the places we like to go would be awfully dang crowded!

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #23

Arizona
Tom

I guess to many years in the camper have me spoiled. As far a comforts go the camper does great. Nice queen sized bed, AC, microwave, Wave heater, shower and toilet, lots of solar, AGM batteries, inverters, satellite TV (not big screen) but my mount swivels it from seating area to bed area. No recliners but really comfortable dinette. I have my Mac Book Pro and printer. A Honda 3000 generator (remote start) mounted on the reese class 5 hitch and a great, and comfortable step hitch system I fabricated. If I want a motor cycle ( I have a V-rod) I hook a small trailer and take it. I prefer to take my RZR 900 if I am out in the woods or ATV riding area. I can take a larger trailer and take both (don't really love the motorcycle these days) but that limits the places I can, and want to go. I used to take my Ultra-lite Trike (flying machine) but that was impractical. I have since quit flying. I wasn't flying safe. I love to fly way to close to the ground. Fine it the engine doesn't quit on you.

Really though, I agree with what you say about RV'ing vs Camping. I have put a ton of work into both units and they are both RV's. I will stay in RV parks in the camper from time to time. Any RV park that has even one open spot. It fits everywhere.
I just prefer the little camper.

I preferred it when I was younger and I prefer it now. I am 67 years on this planet.

Good luck with your tool box mount. I would strap it to the floor.

Arlan
Old 07-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #24

California
I don't go to a RV park to stay there. I go as a base camp to explore what's around there.
This is at a N.F. campground at Jacob Lake 30 miles north of the Grand Canyon N.P. Big enough for the Voltage & very few RV's around.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0278.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	2327
This was taken off a dirt road overlooking the Canyon. Not another soul in site.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0279.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2328

Can't do that with a camper unless you are towing another vehicle. Same way if you are in a Motor Home.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 PM   #25

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Can't do that with a camper unless you are towing another vehicle.
Mike

This will be my last post on this thread. I don't want to step on the OP's post on his new 3818 any more than I have.

I just have to say that you are so wrong about a camper not being a vehicle you can explore with. Mine is nothing like a motor home.

I have been in places you would have to only imagine and have had to winch assist myself up a couple of slippery rock climbs to get back to the pavement. Even with 4x4 and lots of traction to the rear wheels.

If your truck is not 4x4 you would have most likely called in the wrecker for help.

I believe I am familiar with your picture of the Grand Canyon as I belive I have been there in my truck and camper. I need to check my photos.

If you care to contiue this disscution we can start a new one.

I realize you are on your summer vacation to Yellowstone and I hope you have a great trip.

Until then.

Have a great trip.
Arlan in Arizona
Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 AM   #26

Washington
We are full time again now, but got the new Voltage 3818. So far we love it, some stuff could have been done better and I will probably make those adjustments myself as I go along. At over 44', I tend to watch what reviewers say about road width and I try to ask for a large pull through. Not really having any issues with parks yet. The best park is having that 18' garage, once the car is out, it is a nice large man cave/Office.. LOL
ranbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #27

Virginia
New Voltage 3818 owner in Virginia. Towing with a 2015 Ford F350 Dually and AIR-SAFE hitch. Trailer tows great just still trying to get used to a 5th wheel. Previously had a Fleetwood Gearbox tag trailer with a Hensley Arrow hitch for the past 10 years but it had seen better days. We use the Voltage to haul our Spec Miata race car to road race tracks for weekend fun. Trailer is so nice that my wife says she might even spend the night in it.

Now if I can just find a good service center close by I will be good. If anybody can recommend a good one in Northern VA I would love to hear about it. Only used the trailer twice and the generator is off and on, master kill switch does not work so I have to unhook battery or the battery drains in 1 day. AC convertor sometimes does not work with the generator. Hoping all these issues are related. New house on wheels so I figured there would be some glitches.

Had to go to Holman RV in Ohio to buy this thing but it was worth the 35k off of retail! Very professional RV dealer just wish they were not 8 hours away. Highly recommend them if you are looking for the best price and staff that are easy to deal with. Our salesman Art Flores was awesome. Had them add a bunch of extra HDMI cables, speaker wires etc. from the garage to the outside panel under the TV so we can easily set up the projector and outdoor speakers or use the garage as a home theatre. First class job and did exactly what I asked.

Looking forward to spending some more some time in the 3818 and will probably be visiting this forum from time to time. Next project is figuring out how to get the scooter in the garage with the race car.
BrianCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 AM   #28

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCates View Post
New Voltage 3818 owner in Virginia...
Congrats on the new rig... that's the good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCates View Post
...Had to go to Holman RV in Ohio to buy this thing but it was worth the 35k off of retail! Very professional RV dealer just wish they were not 8 hours away. Highly recommend them if you are looking for the best price and staff that are easy to deal with. Our salesman Art Flores was awesome. Had them add a bunch of extra HDMI cables, speaker wires etc. from the garage to the outside panel under the TV so we can easily set up the projector and outdoor speakers or use the garage as a home theatre. First class job and did exactly what I asked...
...and that's the bad news.

It's great that you saved all of that money on the purchase... but now you get to find out how a 'hometown dealer' that you snubbed will probably treat you, especially when you need warranty work.

There are always exceptions... but many of us have found that the dealer network for these isn't isn't on par with your automobile networks. There's no parent organization for ensuring quality service across the board. Oh sure, the dealers will be happy to do your work... but don't count on their service dept's getting to you quickly, or when you'd like. Especially during the busy seasons.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can expect them to take care of the customers who purchased from them first... and they have no love for locals who bypassed them to buy from a 'warehouse dealer' far away, especially if they also happen to be a Voltage dealer.

Welcome to the board... and I really hope you find someone local who's good to you.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote