New owner from Ontario, Canada - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 AM   #1

Ontario
New owner from Ontario, Canada

Hello everyone,
We are the proud owners of a 2020 Aspen Trail LE 1850RB as of last weekend.
Our TV is a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD. It has a tow capacity of 4500 pounds and max tongue rating of 450 pounds. Our new couples trailer is 3195 pounds dry with 415 pounds of tongue weight.
We know we have to tow with empty tanks and not pack too much inside the vehicle or trailer.
Seems to pull it okay but did notice at 85km:h (50mph) a slight sway starting so kept it 80km/h.
That’s fine on regional highways with a max 80km speed limit, but think that’s too slow on our 400 series highways where the limit is 100km (60mph) but the average car travels at 120km.
Unfortunately Honda manual says NOT to install WDH (unibody).
I’m considering a sway bar and possibly adding air bag suspension. Anyone with a 2009-2014 Pilot TV have any recommendations?
Thanks and trek on!
Karl

Kdenby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdenby17 View Post
Hello everyone,
We are the proud owners of a 2020 Aspen Trail LE 1850RB as of last weekend.
Our TV is a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD. It has a tow capacity of 4500 pounds and max tongue rating of 450 pounds. Our new couples trailer is 3195 pounds dry with 415 pounds of tongue weight.
We know we have to tow with empty tanks and not pack too much inside the vehicle or trailer.
Seems to pull it okay but did notice at 85km:h (50mph) a slight sway starting so kept it 80km/h.
That’s fine on regional highways with a max 80km speed limit, but think that’s too slow on our 400 series highways where the limit is 100km (60mph) but the average car travels at 120km.
Unfortunately Honda manual says NOT to install WDH (unibody).
I’m considering a sway bar and possibly adding air bag suspension. Anyone with a 2009-2014 Pilot TV have any recommendations?
Thanks and trek on!
Karl
Hello Karl. Send some pictures if you please of your rig hooked up. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

Florida
See this video it cuts to the point on sway.

davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #4

Ontario
Ended up putting on new rear shocks and installing air bag spring helpers. The air bags didn’t help as much with the rear sag as I had hoped. Before air bags rear end sagged 2-3/4”, after air bags 2”.
But it did help dramatically with sway. I now tow at 90 to 105 km/h with no sensation of sway starting.
I also boost the rear tire pressures when towing from 32 to 40 psi with the air bags run at their max 35 psi.

We’ve been out 6 times since picked it up In June with another trip planned for early October. Might get to try out the furnace.

PS: took a couple pics of my trailer and truck, but can’t figure out how to post them from my iPhone. Anyone know if you post from mobile devices or do I have to do this from a computer?
Kdenby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #5

South Carolina
Congratulations and Welcome!

Hope you figure out your issue. No fun driving with a death grip on the wheel
Old 09-15-2019, 11:43 AM   #6

Florida
KDenby. Do you have a 5th wheel or to?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bag, pilot. sway