New Kodiak 300BHSL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 PM   #1

Maryland
New Kodiak 300BHSL

Greetings everyone,

I recently joined this forum and want to thank everyone ahead of time. Am looking forward to sharing our experiences as well as yours.

We just bought a 2015 Kodiak 300BHSL and will be taking it out at the end of the month for the first time. We are anxious to start making memories with this trailer after we traded in our old Layton Scout 310 which we had for 12 years.

2011 Chevy Surburban 2500
2015 Kodiak 300BHSL
Attached Images

mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

Missouri
Welcome and congratulations on your new trailer!!

Happy Trails

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Ontario
Welcome and enjoy your new trailer.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

Maryland
Spent the weekend installing 3 Max-Air covers. Also installed liners on all the shelves.
next step is to start putting everything into the new trailer. Our first trip is at the end of the month.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Maryland
Just finished our first campout in trailer this past weekend. I discovered a few problems:

1. The shower hose connector between the Hot/Cold faucets was cracked and leaking; presumably due to water in the line during the winter (the dealer performed the winterization). I replaced it myself.

2. Leak in roof above master bedroom. I discovered during rain storm water running down the wall from the ceiling to the floor. Looked at roof in that corner and discovered that there was a small hole where the metal portion of the front of the trailer meets the rubber roof. The caulking they applied over the brace apparently didn't ooze enough. Since I applied caulking into that hole, I haven't seen any more rain water inside the trailer.

3. My 125 lbs son sleeps on the convertible table in the rear of the trailer. When he sat down hard on the table-top when it was in the down position, the brace supporting the table-top came loose from the seat support. Discovered it was connected to the seat with 3 wood screws and only a few dabs of cheap glue (I was able to rub the glue off with just my thumb). I used Gorilla Glue and 6 wood screws to secure the brace in place. Also went to all the other braces in the trailer and did the same.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 04-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Maryland
all of my previous problems that I listed on 04-09-2015 have been corrected with my own repairs. We are still experiencing a problem with the living-room slide-out but are going to give it a few more weeks before we take it in for repair.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

Maryland
We just finished our latest outing and only minor things to report...
1. A screw came loose on one end of the trim of the dinning areas benches... quick fix.
2. Discovered that one of the valances was installed poorly... one end was not past or outside the existing honeycomb blind but was actually about an inch from the end. Son knocked it off and it was very hard to put back up... moved it out to where it should be.
3. Discovered the sink in the bathroom was leaking into the cabinet below. Found that there was no sealant around the sink itself. Caulked the sink...
4. The living-room slide-out retracted on it's own but am still watching it.
5. Leaks in roof that were discovered before have not re-appeared so the caulking I performed must have corrected the problem.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 05-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #8

Maryland
Status update:
1. It seems all the leaks I repaired are working. There has been several storms since the initial discovery and repair and (knock-on-wood), no further leaks in the trailer.

2. The living-room slide issue seems to have been resolved by:
A. Lubricating the drive unit per their recommendation.
B. Ensuring the unit is level. (followed recommendations from "TT Leveling" thread.

3. Caulking of the bathroom and kitchen sinks solved the leaking problem.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #9

Maryland
Status update:

This past weekend we ended an 7-week camping trip. A local campground had a spring special which allowed us to take the trailer up there and leave it there for the entire period. We were able to just go there every weekend for the past 7 weeks. It worked out great for setting up the trailer and getting things working.

The problems with the living-room slide out have not surfaced again. Making sure that the trailer is level or just slightly higher on that side and lubricating the slideout per Lippert's recommendation seems to have corrected the problems we have experienced.

The leaks in the roof have not come back.

The leaks in the bath and kitchen sinks have been corrected.

No I am just working on the "honey-do/wish lists".

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 05-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #10

Kentucky
Glad to here you're getting use out of your new Kodiak. I bought the same model in March of 2014. Had some similar minor issue as you. Fixed most myself. I did build a wooden support to place under the back table when it was in the bunk position. Had my mother-in-law with us for a week at Disneyworld last summer and didn't want problems when she bunked with the grandkids. Also put Velcro on the bottom of the table and the rails it rests on while in the bunk position so it wouldn't tilt up when you sat on it. Love the unit...lots of space and lots of counter and storage. Off to Salt Lake City, Yellowstone and Denver this summer. Should be big fun.
On-my-second-Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #11

Kentucky
Make sure you tighten all the traps under the sinks. They were all loose when I bought mine.
On-my-second-Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:06 PM   #12

Alberta
hi. i also bought that model, new, last September.
thankfully i have not had any issues like that.
i did have a 15 item punch list after our first trip out but all minor stuff like dvd player not working, electric water heater not working ( propane water heat worked but not electric).
lots of trim falling off etc.
The dealer here in edmonton fixed them all and it seems OK now.
we are taking our first trip of the year in it next weekend and hopefully it is all good.

russ
1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #13

Maryland
Thanks all for your insights as well. We are heading out again in a few weekends just for a few nights. My mother is coming for a visit so there will be 5 "adults" in it... that is if you consider my two boys (24 and 21) adults though my wife still calls them her "babies".

"On-my-second-kodiak"... I like the idea of the supports and velcro on the table. My 21 year old sleeps there and he has tilted the table up when he has sat on edge. I do remember also tightening up the traps under both sinks... I actually check them every month especially when we drive it around just in case they come loose.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 08-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #14

Maryland
Since my last post, we have been on several other outing and have discovered a few other minor things that needed repair:

1. the shower was not properly caulked on the floor and walls; we have minor leaks when cleaning the shower wall when we discovered that there was actually a small gap between the walls. A quick silicone caulk corrected that problem.

2. The "honey-do-list" has gotten smaller as we are settling into our new TT. I did purchase a 36" square sheet of galvanized steel, put a wood trim frame around it, and mounted it to the wall behind the dining table with a lot of Command Strips. We put small magnets on it of all the places we have camped over the last 12 years. Previous we used 9"x13" sheet pans mounted to the walls, but we so quickly filled them up that we needed something larger. This 36" square sheet is less than 1/2 filled so we have a lot of room to add more magnets. I will get a picture and post it when I can.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 08-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #15

Maryland
Here is a picture of the magnetic board:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic-board.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2471  

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 12-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #16

Maryland
What a year with our new 300BHSL... All the minor problems corrected but then another one crept up... on our Thanksgiving trip (our last trip of the year), the Furrion DV1100 Entertainment system decided that it didn't want to play DVD's anymore. Additionally, when we were listening to a radio station, the system would automatically go into scan mode.

I pulled the unit to make sure everything was connected correctly and surprisingly it was.

Contacted Furrion on 4 December (just before the 1-year anniversary of purchasing the unit). The immediately sent me a replacement DV1100 which arrived on 19 December. Went out to the unit, connected it up, and the radio worked without going into scan mode. Connected the TV to the unit and the DVD worked also.

It's so nice when the vendor will work with you and replaces the unit quickly.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 12-21-2015, 10:17 PM   #17

Alberta
Matt: ours did the same thing and it was replaced no problem too.
The dealer here is great to work with.

Russ
1958 Mooney M20A
russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #18

Maryland
Last week my son and I went out to our storage area, uncovered the trailer, and cleaned it. This past weekend (spring break) we drove up to Gettysburg PA for our first outing of the season.

While we were flushing out the water lines, we discovered that the pressure valve on the outside spray port cracked. I was able to simply remove the cracked valve and connect the hose directly to the port.

We also discovered that the shower head cracked as well so a quick trip to Camping World in Hanover PA for a replacement and we were good to go for the weekend.

After we returned to our storage area and unpacked the trailer, we learned that night that this coming week's nighttime temperatures are projected to drop below freezing, so needless to say I went back out to the trailer and blew-out the water lines including the shower hose and outside spray port.

Overall a great weekend and we are looking forward to another great season of exploring!

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
Old 03-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
Last week my son and I went out to our storage area, uncovered the trailer, and cleaned it. This past weekend (spring break) we drove up to Gettysburg PA for our first outing of the season.

While we were flushing out the water lines, we discovered that the pressure valve on the outside spray port cracked. I was able to simply remove the cracked valve and connect the hose directly to the port.

We also discovered that the shower head cracked as well so a quick trip to Camping World in Hanover PA for a replacement and we were good to go for the weekend.

After we returned to our storage area and unpacked the trailer, we learned that night that this coming week's nighttime temperatures are projected to drop below freezing, so needless to say I went back out to the trailer and blew-out the water lines including the shower hose and outside spray port.

Overall a great weekend and we are looking forward to another great season of exploring!
That sounds like a realativly inexpensive lesson to learn. I don't use antifreeze in our water lines, so they get blown out 2-3 times and I leave the taps open after I've got the water out. We also leave the shower hose hanging down.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #20

Maryland
Well another outing under our belt without any problems. Spent the weekend up in Pennsylvania near Hershey Park. Great weather even with the rain Friday night into Saturday morning. We had a great time as any time you don't have problems is a good time. Checked and inspected several areas of the TT that others have mentioned throughout the forum. We greatly appreciate everyone inputs; whether they are complaints, observations, recommendations, etc.

2015 Kodiak 300BHLS

Tags
300bhsl, kodiak