New here - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Arkansas
New here

I was recently given a 2014 Dutchmen Aerolite 319 BHSS and have a question about towing. I have a 1/2 ton Suburban and was just trying to figure out if this trailer is 1/2 ton towable. Everything I have looked up has given conflicting info so I figured I would ask a group that should know. Thank you for any help

cfh289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

Florida
Congratulations on your new RV! Nice gift... That's a pretty heavy RV by the specs. What year is your suburban and does it have the towing package, heavy duty radiator, V8, etc... ?

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...19bhss-tr19563

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:12 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Looking up truck towing capacity is a waste of time. There are too many individual vehicle and trailer variables. Use the maximum weights specified on the truck and trailer specification stickers.

Look on the front left corner or "A" frame for travel trailer (TT) specification sticker Gross Weight (GVW).

Look on the pickup truck driver side door jam. You will find two stickers. One has tire size and pressures. The other has truck weights. Copy all the truck weights and abbreviations that go with them.

You need maximum Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the truck.
Dry weight of the truck.
Maximum Rear axle GVW of the truck.
You might find Combined GVW for trailer and truck. This would be the maximum combined weight of the truck, cargo, driver, passenger, tongue weight of TT, and TT GVW.

Subtract truck dry weight from truck GVW. That is Cargo Capacity. Cargo Capacity may be listed on the sticker as well.

Subtract driver and passenger weights. Subtract any other weight you will be carrying in the truck. What is left is the Remaining Cargo Capacity available for the TT tongue weight.

Tongue weight must be at least 10% of TT weight and may be as much as 20%. I have found some tongue weight to be much higher.

Multiply Remaining Cargo Capacity by 5. this is the weight available for a trailer. Of course if the loaded TT tongue weight is less than 20%, a little more trailer weight would be allowed. You can get a tongue weight gage from Amazon for about $130.

I assume you will use a weight distribution hitch WDH. A 1/2 ton truck will almost certainly need one. Adjust the WHD to transfer weight off the rear axle and onto front axle and TT axle. You will want the truck and TT level as possible. You must be certain you do not overload the truck rear axle and tires.

In the end, you must get actual weights for each axle of the truck and TT when fully loaded for travel. Check the scale measured weights against maximum weights specified for each axle on the specification stickers.

You can use the actual weight of the TT when it is full loaded instead of the GVW. However, most TT's end up close to GVW when loaded and ready to go.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:50 PM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfh289 View Post
I was recently given a 2014 Dutchmen Aerolite 319 BHSS and have a question about towing. I have a 1/2 ton Suburban and was just trying to figure out if this trailer is 1/2 ton towable. Everything I have looked up has given conflicting info so I figured I would ask a group that should know. Thank you for any help
No.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfh289 View Post

Go do the math as indicated above. But a quick google search shows.

Trailer

Weight
Dry Weight
8,084 lbs.

Payload Capacity
1,596 lbs.

Hitch Weight
1,132 lbs.

What is the towing capacity of a Chevrolet Suburban 1500?
8,400 pounds. And I think that is with 4:11 gears.

So Probably NOT.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #6

Arkansas
thank you

cfh289 is offline   Reply With Quote