New Coleman Owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

California
New Coleman Owner

We recently purchased a virtually unused, untowed, 2013 Coleman 15BH Expedition LT. Over the last 35 years we have had travel trailers of 20', 22', 24', 27', a Class C, and 2 camper vans. We are empty nesters and went backwards this time looking for something fast and light for hitting all the western National Parks again before we can't do it any more. Our 'must have' list included full size tanks, a dry bath, good seating with 3 windows, and a bunk for storing gear in the upper area. It's amazing how roomy this model is and has surprising counter space. What we did not like is the OEM 6.5" clearance on the dump lines at the rear so I did a Dexter axle-under conversion and gained an additional 5.5" now for our trips on planned forest service roads in the Eastern Sierras. We also added another deep cycle battery and 80W solar charger so the Honda 2000 generator can be used only for the 8000 BTU AC and microwave when needed. We tow with a Ford E350 van so that 2800# dry weight is not an issue. We are taking it on it's 10 day maiden voyage right after Labor Day and can't wait to see what we can do to improve it for longer trips. We figured we generally cook outside, live outside, and just need a hard side camper to sleep comfortably but we like to avoid full hookup campgrounds when we can. Anyway that's my introduction

Kuhl951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:30 PM   #2

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you got yourself a boondocking camper there.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:56 AM   #3

Texas
I like your style.

When you can camp long-term, in comfort, with an untaxed tow vehicle, and a 2000 generator is ample for AC.............

Well, you are in my sweetspot!

Cheers
Enjoy!
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:40 AM   #4

I am spoiled.. big bed and lots of ac
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome! We had a little Coleman, it was a great little trailer for the money. But we needed something that was a bit more 4 seasons and fit our travel style better so we ended up with a B+/C motor home.

Sounds like you are well on your way to having things set up to suit your life style.

Enjoy!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #6

California
Thanks everyone. I knew we were doomed when my wife started watching all those Tiny House shows on HGTV. I know what comforts, conveniences, and ample space 'were' and now need to adapt I guess. I do appreciate not having to use equalizers like the last 3 units we've owned.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #7

Florida
We have the 2016 Coleman CTS 16 FB and there is plenty of room for all the comforts for the two of us and our three traveling companions (Chihuahuas) I did a few mods to "make it ours". It beats a pop up hands down, it is easy to tow and all we really need.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoaks View Post
We have the 2016 Coleman CTS 16 FB and there is plenty of room for all the comforts for the two of us and our three traveling companions (Chihuahuas) I did a few mods to "make it ours". It beats a pop up hands down, it is easy to tow and all we really need.
We also travel with 3 friends: A Lab (dumb as a sack of hammers), Jack Russell (too smart or his own good), and a Chihuahua(best dog we've ever owned!) How does that raised tub work out for you guys? My next 'mod' is installing one of those outdoor H/C faucet set-ups for cleaning things up.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #9

Florida
Welcome to the forum. It's great to see plans come together in a positive fashion.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhl951 View Post
We also travel with 3 friends: A Lab (dumb as a sack of hammers), Jack Russell (too smart or his own good), and a Chihuahua(best dog we've ever owned!) How does that raised tub work out for you guys? My next 'mod' is installing one of those outdoor H/C faucet set-ups for cleaning things up.

It seems to work ok, we usually stay at State CG's and usually use their showers, but I did try it out and it was ok, I put reading lights over the bed where the single one is ( I left it in and put one on each side of the bed. Did lots more mods too such as a 12 vortex fan in the bathroom vent. I have "made it mine"