New Coleman Camper owner, Ontario, Canada - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2019, 02:47 AM   #1

Ontario
New Coleman Camper owner, Ontario, Canada

Hey everyone, first time TT owners and we purchased a 2018 Coleman 1925BH, it's new, just sat on the lot for an extra year. Our TV is a 2006 Ford Explorer XLT with Factory tow package.
We can tow up to 7100 lbs, with WDH and tongue weight of 700 lbs with same.

We have only taken it out once since purchase, and even with the power to tow it, can sure feel it back there, it weighs in at 3800 lbs dry and 574 lbs tongue weight.

Overall, it had everything we wanted, wanted bunks for the kids, rather than having to tear down and put up a table or couch. We love the love seat that fold down to reveal the Queen Murphy bed.

We are sticking to campgrounds near us, as with the age of our TV and the way it feels towing currently, I don't want to do 400 series highways yet. Our WDH has Sway bar as well, however haven't installed the sway yet.

When we do replace the Explorer, it will be with a full size truck or SUV with tow package as well.

Anyhow, looking forward to reading and learning lots...
Thanks

jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #2

Florida
hello jmatteis and welcome to the forum!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #3

Ontario
Hey Ontario, welcome to the forum, I'm in Sudbury. The dry weight is 3800 but by the time you add water, food, beer, lawn chairs and everything else it can sneak up fast. Plus anything in the truck including the passenger and things in the box all count as part of the total tow weight. You might be closer to the 7800# than you think. I know the terrain is quite flat down south but travelling uphill adds a lot of strain as well. Just food for thought.
drchaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #4

Texas
Welcome to the group from the Great State of Texas. I grew up in Mississauga, so many great places to camp, Earl Rowe, Kettle Lakes and my favorite, Bon Echo. Indian rock paintings on the cliff at the water and hiking the cliffs was awesome.
Be careful with your current tow vehicle, not a lot of butt up front. Not a lot of horsepower/torque to tow with. A Titan XD diesel makes a great TT tow vehicle if you go with a pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190918_105845.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	5928  
Old 10-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
Welcome to the group from the Great State of Texas. I grew up in Mississauga, so many great places to camp, Earl Rowe, Kettle Lakes and my favorite, Bon Echo. Indian rock paintings on the cliff at the water and hiking the cliffs was awesome.
Be careful with your current tow vehicle, not a lot of butt up front. Not a lot of horsepower/torque to tow with. A Titan XD diesel makes a great TT tow vehicle if you go with a pickup.
... agreed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0837.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	5935  
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaffe View Post
Hey Ontario, welcome to the forum, I'm in Sudbury. The dry weight is 3800 but by the time you add water, food, beer, lawn chairs and everything else it can sneak up fast. Plus anything in the truck including the passenger and things in the box all count as part of the total tow weight. You might be closer to the 7800# than you think. I know the terrain is quite flat down south but travelling uphill adds a lot of strain as well. Just food for thought.
Thanks for all the replies everyone... just looking at Ford's specs and the GCRW for the Explorer from that year with the 3.73 high gears and factory towing package is 10,000 lbs, max weight of camper is 5,210 lbs without WDH, with it, that increases to 7700 lbs, with a tongue weight of 770 lbs. With the age of the vehicle, i won't go near those limits and we're also not hitting the highways, only 80/90 km/h county roads, with close trips until we replace it with a full size tow vehicle.
In speaking with coworkers who tow larger trailers with full size trucks, they said they still feel that it is back there. It's all new to me, so the feeling is as well.

I saw a video the other day on Youtube, guy from Ontario, maybe he's on the forums, towed a 5100 lb dry weight 25 ft camper with a caravan, stock... crazy. said it tows nice except on the highway. When we researched campers, I knew I wanted to stay at half the total recommended tow weight with an empty camper.
We're happy with our purchase for what we got (some small issues to be discussed in other subforums have disappointed us), it will suit us well for years, has all we need with the kids and also for when they no longer want to camp with us.

jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote