Looking forward to new rig - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Michigan
Looking forward to new rig

Hello from Michigan. Looks like a nice forum, so decided to sign up. We just turned in our excellent 2006 Jayco JayFlight 25rks which we have hauled all over the country over the past six or so years. Decided to get something a bit roomier since we are gone for long stretches. Will pick up our new Dutchmen Kodiak 263RLSL in the next day or so after they prep it. We had a choice of a new 2015 at a great discount or a 2016 at not too bad a price, either. We chose the 2015 since it came as the "Ultimate" (no longer offered in that size?) with 15" tires, 15Kbtu air, and a free standing dinette with four chairs (not offered for 2016). Same trailer for 2016 is now in their "Express" group as a 264RLSL and although almost exactly the same, comes with 14" tires and differs in a few available options or minor features that we like. We really love the two swivel rockers, allowing more than just sofa seating. It's a bit confusing to me, and the Dutchmen website does not give legacy information for previous years. Looks like a pretty good rig, and only a bit heavier than our Jayco. It does lack a lot of hanging closet space, but it will force us to travel lighter. The Jayco had almost too much storage. I can't believe the boxes and piles of stuff we took out of the Jayco. It's all over my garage. We have pared it down to half, and still have too much. I not going to blame anyone at this point

We found the quality of our Jayco to be outstanding. Not one problem in all the years we had it. Maybe close to 30K miles coast to coast trips. Still as nice as the day we bought it. I hope the Kodiak does as well, but with proper maintenance and reasonable care, I have faith. We needed something 1/2 ton towable, and still reasonably roomy. This is a nice compromise.

Any comments, experiences, warnings, accolades are welcome. Looking forward to an interesting forum. Hope I can contribute useable stuff.

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

California
Craig. Sounds like a nice rig. Hope you can get in a little RVing before the cold weather hits your area. Then again you can always come down to my neck of the country around Palm Springs in the winter time.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Michigan
Hey Mike. How's Lake Havasu City, AZ sound. Found it last year and love it. Just getting there was an adventure the first week of January along I-40. Thanks for the welcome...
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #4

California
Craig
Anywhere in the desert of Az or Ca. for the winter will be warmer then Michigan.
If you come down again at that time of year you need to check out Quartzsite Az. It south on 95 from Lake Havasu City. There will be more RV's in one place then you have ever seen. We go out there every year for the past 20 or so. We boondock out on Dome Rock Road with friends & our church group.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Wyoming
Unless things change, I'll be staying a little further north on the Colorado River... in the Bullhead City / Laughlin area for the winter. Maybe we can all get together at some point to say Howdy!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Michigan
All I can say is after spending many a winter in Florida, some friends convinced us to come to LHC AZ for a try. Even though some of our kids and many of our relatives live in Florida, we were only out west for two days when Janet looked at me, smiled, and said "sc**w Florida". Where can we have water, desert, mountains, and lots of cool, new friends? Perfect. Now to just get there. We have to go from Michigan via Florida because of a December wedding to attend. Makes a long trip in a relatively untested rig. Will be interesting, for sure.

Still trying to get the AC and slide out manuals from the dealer, and a bit of info on the NitroFill (maybe bunk) that came with it. Loading the rig carefully today, and test loading the truck so I have approximate travelling weights, then readjusting the WDH. I think it may be a workout with the 1500, close, but not over GCVW. Keeping my eye out for a 3/4 down the road, but hate to give up the gas mileage and utility for the other 90 percent of my driving.

Anyone know how the slider should sound when it reaches the end of its outward travel? My Jayco just stalled and I let off the switch. This one makes rapid clicking when it reaches its limit. Two long geared tracks under the room. Suppose I should move this to another thread? Kinda new to forums and don't want to look too newbee.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
We found the quality of our Jayco to be outstanding. Not one problem in all the years we had it.
You're going to need to lower your expectations. I love my camper, but you will have problems and the quality is subpar on a few things.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:28 AM   #8

Colorado
need information on Dutchman coaches

Good evening. My husband and I are looking at a 2011 Dutchman Komfort and would like some input from owners. What should we know before we buy, what problems seem to be the biggest and would you buy another Dutchman product. Thank you all very much
jeanne
Jbirdpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #9

Michigan
Hi,
We have only had our 2015 for a few weeks, and only one overnight shakedown. In general, it is a very nice rig. Specifically, I think the factory needs to do some Quality Control work on the interior trim and accessory installation (awning, stabilizer jacks). These companies switch around, and merge so often, I couldn't tell you where your proposed 2011 was built, or under whose umbrella (Dutchmen, Keystone, whomever). Almost all these outfits are the same, and two identical units can come off the line in different shape. Furnaces, stoves, furniture, axles, brakes, and other things are the same or very similar between manufacturers. Best bet is to go over it very carefully, inspecting running gear, TIRES, trim, interior items, and if buying from a dealer, make sure you get some sort of warranty that will last until you get a good shakedown cruise under your belt. Look for water leak damage in the walls and ceiling. Even new ones can have leaks. Check the age of the propane tanks so you don't have to get them recertified too soon. Make sure the battery is a deep cycle or at least a dual purpose deep cycle, and not a regular starting battery. Get a load test after charging it up overnight. I have never had any "big" problems after many units new and used over the years. Axles, brakes, TIRES, equilizer and anti-sway equipment for getting down the road. Trim, water system, lights, furniture, AC, Heat, etc., on the inside to your level of satisfaction. Leaks. Enjoy your travels!
Old 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #10

Colorado
thank you Craig.
We actually decided to buy a new forest River Rockwood.
I appreciate your input, this is good to know for any camper.
Jeanne
Jbirdpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

Michigan
Hi Jeanne,

Good choice. They make nice RV's. I had a Rockwood years ago and enjoyed pretty trouble free traveling. Now, get out of Colorado before winter hits, and get someplace nice and warm until Spring!!

Tags
half ton, kodiak 263 rlsl