Kodkak Express 255BHSL- Any similar issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #1

Kodkak Express 255BHSL- Any similar issues

Wanted to down size from our 32 footer as our kids are grown.. fell in love with the Kodiak Express 255BHSL -with the large slideout gave us lots of room we thought we would miss from our larger unit. I even thought that the quality of workmanship appeared better than my Trail Sport of 4 years. Well, we have had a host of issues -slide out leaked from start. small repair made at dealeship. two weeks later with slid out CLOSED, we had water cascading over the slide onto the floor, ruining all the furniture floor etc. Dutchmen took it back to factory for several weeks and totally rebuilt slide, replaced furniture, new floor etc.. when it was returned, we were assured it was tested thoroughly for leakage. Two weeks later I had it back to the dealership with a puddle of water on the floor. To his credit, after going over it thoroughly, he noticed that the air conditioner two front bolts were loose, nuts turnable by hand. the water was getting into the overhead vent over loction of water and dripping down. Tightened and to their credit, no leakage to date. Just wondering how long the AC was loose and God forbid it would have come off in travel... just getting a bit wary as i an finding loose screws, and various other flaws about the unit. I am quite particular and take excellent care of my "stuff" so minor flaws are an annoyance to me...most of the chrome lug nuts showed heavy rust... I wrote them and they did replace them but the ones on my unit were extended nuts and are "discontinued" - unit less than 6 months old? discontinued? anyway they sent me new short ones so all have to be changed to match.
Refrigerator panels are streaked and stained. In checking them out, I found that they are wood, stained or painted black- apparently someone tried to clean them with something and the streaks won't come out. Asked to have them replaced with the Acrylic panels that actually come with the Fridge- no response as yet. Called Norcold and they informed me that the fridge is discontinued . Again, 6 months ,discontinued? Leads me to wonder how much else that went into this unit (this is a new release unit 1st year I guess) was leftover or discontinued just to roll it out for the 2012 shows.

Overall, we love the functionality of the unit but we have anxiety as to did we buy into a problem product that is going to give us continued issues down the road. Just wanted to check to see if anyone else is having similar problems or is their hope for future peace of mind. Never owned anything by Dutchmen before..

chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #2

Washington
Re: Kodkak Express 255BHSL- Any similar issues

I have heard TT's referred to as an earthquake on wheels, and there is some truth to that. Things are going to loosen and come apart, that's just part of towing.
That said, it sounds like some errors were made when yours left the factory. We just took our Dutchman Denali on a 12,000 mile trip (after a shake down cruise to make sure everything worked). When we got back, we had a list of about 20 fairly minor things for them to fix. None of them affected our ability to enjoy the trip.
I hope yours is fixed and stays fixed for you.

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote