Just got V3200 & Green Horn - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
Ted

Mississippi
Just got V3200 & Green Horn

Look forward to learning from this community....

So much to learn!

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #2

Florida
Welcome to the forum. Fire away with your questions as there are many knowledgeable RV's here.

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Ted

Mississippi
Tires and Camera

Was wondering if there is a problem to upgrade from the 235 R80 16 to a R85 16 G rating? They are quite expensive just need some thoughts...Afraid of a blow out right off the bat...

What type of camera should I get?
Old 11-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Nevada
Ted, just answered that question, I don't know if you asked somewhere else, but yes, you can change to R85, which are taller and yes to G rating, a better Tire then what they placed on your unit....Could you advise us on which RV you have?
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
Ted

Mississippi
Thanks...

I have a Voltage V3200. Thanks for info.... I guess I'll buy the Goodyear 14 ply tires.... Being a Green Horn last thing I want is a blow out.

I'm still trying to figure out what camera works best....
Old 11-28-2016, 01:40 AM   #6

Hello Ted....being a veteran of blown tires I skipped and went to a J rated tire. They resemble bus tires or semi tires. Very little tread pattern just grooves in the rubber.. Now I have heard good things about the goodyear G rated tires but also some have said on other forums their tires still blew. ouch.. That is why I opted to a J rated tire.
I just finished a several thousand mile trip loaded to the gills and not a tire issue.. Its an option while your tire shopping.. good luck the tires seem to be the weak link.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:50 AM   #7

New Jersey
You may also want to consider a tire pressure monitoring system. I went with a TST brand system that monitors all 6 tow vehicle and 4 trailer tire pressures and temperatures. If anything goes out of set range, it starts screaming. Hopefully, will be able to catch a problem before it becomes a catastrophe. Having had several tire blowouts in the past with travel trailers, and experiencing how much damage they can do. Trying to do what I can to avoid a problem with the toy hauler.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
Ted

Mississippi
Thanks for all the great info....

I will research the J tire. I had made up my mind on the Goodyear but better take a second look. My unit is a little smaller and lighter than the real big ones so maybe I'm OK.

Really appreciate everyone that responded. I don't know a sole that owns a unit and I live in the hills of Mississippi....
Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I will research the J tire. I had made up my mind on the Goodyear but better take a second look. My unit is a little smaller and lighter than the real big ones so maybe I'm OK.

Really appreciate everyone that responded. I don't know a sole that owns a unit and I live in the hills of Mississippi....
I also own a 3200 like yours. They are lighter BUT only have two axles, therefore probably MORE weight per tire. I also went with the J rated tires (Continentals) as described above (Bus or Semi tire). Is it overkill? Absolutely, but the piece of mind was worth it to me. They also require the upgrade to larger 17.5" rims though.
One blowout can do more damage than the entire new setup costs.

Tags
new green horn