Hello from Oregon - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

Oregon
Hello from Oregon

New to this group, did not even know this product line existed until this last week.

We have been shopping for some time, narrowing down what we wanted and what would satisfy both our wants.

Have weight limitations as most do nowadays with smaller vehicles, which of course reigns in choices.
Needing to stay at 5000 or less, wanting a murphy bed for more room and a possible slide out. Had it down to a Passport by Keystone, Surveyor by Forest River, went back to one dealer to remind ourselves why, and they now have the Aerolite units as well.

Because we live in the Northwest, are near 70 and wish to enjoy some comfort on and off the road the models around 20 - 25 feet seem to fit in our range. Liked to have bunks in case we might want someone to go with, but not vital, liked the slide out.

Then saw the 2320 model, now three choices.

\I love the true 4 seasons ability, the road clearance, bunks are nice for storage and almost forgot about murphy beds.

The main issue, is that there are no real sites to go to, for true rating on quality, build, issues and user forums all seem to be the same with the majority of posts about negative issues, lack of factory resolution or users not realizing these things are like a boat, and require some owner maint. The sale people say, you get what you pay for, but at my age, that no longer means anything as I have over the years, paid too much for too little several times.

Anyway, this model is pretty dang nice with 80 - 90% of most things we like, while sitting at the top of the weight range.

the acutal models we have settled on are
Passport 2018 239ML
Surveyor 2018 200MLB
Aerolite 2018 2320BHSL

Long ways from when we first started looking and an R-pod was it on our list

JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #2

Texas
Just one mans opinion........but there is hardly even the slightest manufacturing difference between the 3 you listed.
Or put another way, if you have the good fortune of getting any one of those 3 and it being a relatively trouble free experience, it wouldn't be because you picked the superior builder. Same could be said in reverse....if you were unfortunate and got a relatively problematic unit......you know where I'm going.

I actually have a 2017 Dutchmen Aerolite AND a 2018 Forest River Coyote.
I love them both. I've also been fortunate to have had good purchasing experiences with both. I live full time in the Aerolite. It's a bit more luxuriously appointed. But I've already travel-camped more than 65 days-nights in the Forest River and have only suffered a few loose screws.

Looking at them both from a carpenter, plumber, electrician point of view, I'd swear they came from the same plant. There's little differentiation.

Roll the dice! Cuz that's kinda what is required. And then go enjoy, regardless.

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #3

Oregon
At last, just what I was looking for, thank you very much.

Having not owned a travel trailer and growing up, camping as a kid with my parents, we had a Terry and then an Oasis and of course as a kid, they were gynormis, and neither had all the current do dads.

seems like the Surveyor is nicer than the Passport, but coming from a tent and out of the back of my 4x4, they all seem great at 2 in the morning.

The Aerolite and Surveyor seem pretty equal with the edge for four seasons going to the 2320.

Appreciate the feedback again
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

Florida
New Camper

Welcome. Just buy a used TT like I did and you will be happy. Look outside of your state as you will have better luck the further out you look. New TT lose over 1/2 there value in the first year. I am not a rich guy and did not want to take a hit like that. Alot of people get a new TT and go out a few times and then it just sits in storage. It is more work than some think. Only get a used one if you are handy and can do repairs and maintenance yourself if not you will spend alot of money at the dealers, getting repairs. I am the best person on this forum for advice on this issue. I will give you help if you ask me.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

Texas
OK, I just can't resist.

Oh wait, yes I can.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
OK, I just can't resist.

Oh wait, yes I can.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #7

Florida
Hello, Jim! Welcome to the forum! Cheers!

MarcelJameson is offline   Reply With Quote