Hello from ND! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #1

North Dakota
Post Hello from ND!

Howdy,

I'm a 28 y/o male (Nick) with a gf (Rachel) and her 3 yr old little boy (Jakson) residing in North Dakota. I bought my first travel trailer in late June of this year. I went with Dutchmen 318RKDS which was a last minute find in all my hours of searching and thus far am very pleased with it. We tow with a 2006 Ford F-250 PSD, CC, SB, 4x4.

I spent many probally to many hours online trying to find the perfect rig whether it be the floor plan, upholstry, options or price. Initially last fall I almost purchased a Puma 31KBH but at the last minute decided it was already to late in our short season to make the purchase and held out over the winter.

This spring I found the Zinger 32RE which we loved but the dealer wouldn't accept our offer of $400 less than his best asking price. I walked away as I wasn't satisfied with having two jacknife sofas and not either being a hide-a-bed couch.

I kept finding myself looking back at a Puma 31RKSS which I had found over the winter months but had the wrong color upholstry but was also quite a bit cheaper than the other two previously mentioned models. I was within a phones reach of calling the dealer to let him know I wanted the trailer when I made one last search on eBay and found my 31RKDS.

The Dutchmen I chose was only $520 more than Puma I had almost just bought but included; aluminum wheels, electric jacks and awning, spare tire, leather upholstry, outside radio controls and keyless entry.

The trailer has been great to us with only a few minor things mistated by the dealer and one minor manufacturing defect. Upon delivery we noticed the keyless entry did not work (any tips), we've got a gas only water heater, no outside shower port and it arrived with a jacknife sofa rather than the hide-a-bed as advertised and pictured. However, the dealer admitted the mistake and had Dutchmen drop ship a hide-a-bed out to us but now I don't know how I can make it fit thru the door to make the swap. The minor defect took me three trips to notice but is only a small quarter size chunk missing from the ceiling in the slideout where it was screwed/nailed to close to the edge.

We enjoyed our weekends this summer at the lake, Stock Car Stampede and WeFest and are looking forward to many more successful trips and awesome memories.

That's my story!

*Attached is a photo of my rig as I went to setup my hitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	165  

campND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Really nice! Just shows that an informed consumer always has an advantage.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #3

Welcome,on your new trailer.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #4

Wyoming
Welcome to the forum!
Nice-looking rig.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 AM   #5

New York
Hi Nick, I also want to welcome you to the forum and may have some insight on your sofa situation!

Try this link, it will give you diretions on how to remove one!

Changing Out Jackknife Sofa for Two Reclining Chairs T-286SR - Sunline Coach Owner's Club

Good luck with your mod!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #6

California
Welcome to the forum, Nick! Congratulations on your new set up! Hope you get everything worked out with the couch.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #7

Welcome Nick to the forum. From your posting I assume your camper was new under warranty. If that is the case you need to haul it to the dealer and have them install the new furniture under warranty or at their cost. I have not had problems with my dealer with my Dutchmen product however others have in the past. Dutchmen for the most part has a good customer service support. I suggest you call and ask for JONI in parts or customer support. She seems very helpful and has been mentioned even on this forum i the past. I have had good service from her also. Bishop is another there that is helpful also.

Most of your complaints like the shower port or hot water heater are usually options but are standard on some models. I can only guess your model it was not standard. That is a shame but reality.
You will find lots of little things as time goes on but in the end you will adapt or change out the items to your liking.
I recommend you get back with your dealer and demand they fix these items in a polite way or search for another nearby dealer.
good luck and enjoy the ride

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote