hello from NC - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #1

North Carolina
hello from NC

hello all, we have had two heartlands (both toy haulers) in the past, 2013 Road Warrior 305 36' and a 2014 Cyclone 4000 (44'). the cyclone has some real bad delamination... (long list of other),and heartland hasn't been too reasonable AT ALL. - long story.- any rate, moving on to a happier topic! we have ordered a Dutchmen Voltage 3970 a month or so ago. should be done late feb. honestly, a bit nervous. this is a huge purchase for us. and we can only hope and PRAY, this thing is built better the last two, or at lest the cyclone...

never got involved with the heartland (or any other on any topic) forum. but hoping this is a good camper, and maybe get involved here..

1. when we made the order , we added the back up cam and GPS. i think its a garmin, but not sure witch one. hoping its the 760 since its the RV model... BUT none the really new voltages to hit the lots are coming with that option ... and i just looked at voltage web site and it doesn't look like that is a option at all any more.

2 we ordered with the orange paint and I was wondering if anyone had ever asked for something custom ? really don't want to ask the rep as I don't want to be a pain, or make the build more complicated... ( I would just like to leave the " white" out. not add anything else , just don't really like the white).

thank you, tom and brooke. - HAPPY NEW YEAR

hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Welcome to the forums!

I live a bit east of you near Fort Bragg, NC. Sounds like you are an experienced RV'er. You will find a bit of everything here on the boards. Some of us have been messing about in RV's for longer than we care to remember. And others are just getting started.

Interesting that you had issues with the Heartlands. I remember when they first hit the market. They were a quality unit and well built. I do know they got sucked up by Thor around 2010. Just be aware that Dutchmen is also a Thor company.

Make sure you do a thorough PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) before completing the transaction. Make them fix everything, they have more incentive that way.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #3

North Carolina
great advise on PDI. I am a fairly passive and don't really mind to fix most things... heard about how some people handle the PDI differently , and Ive been trying to " prepare" (lol), myself for it because of the price point, and how long I will hopefully own this next one!

? will the PDI come first in the paperwork ? other words, will I "own", by filling out the loan stuff, and _THEN go over PDI and IOU's...?
Old 12-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
great advise on PDI. I am a fairly passive and don't really mind to fix most things... heard about how some people handle the PDI differently , and Ive been trying to " prepare" (lol), myself for it because of the price point, and how long I will hopefully own this next one!

? will the PDI come first in the paperwork ? other words, will I "own", by filling out the loan stuff, and _THEN go over PDI and IOU's...?
If I were you I would insist on the PDI before I signed any paperwork.....you will have to be "strong" & insist that any and all issues are dealt with before you sign.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #5

North Carolina
Sounds great. I will do that. Thank you for the advice and I will take
Old 12-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Depending on your relationship with the dealer... I would tell them up front that when the unit comes in that you EXPECT THEM to perform a thorough testing of all systems to verify they are operating correctly. THEN when you get there that you plan to go over the entire RV with a fine tooth comb prior to finalizing the paper work. At that point you can still walk away if the unit is sub-par. Once you sign on the dotted line it becomes YOUR problem to deal with. Warranties in general are written to protect the manufacturer NOT the consumer.

It is your hard earned money, get what you pay for. The dealer is in business to make money, so of course he wants you to take the unit and leave as soon as possible. There are some great dealers out there, there are some crappy ones out there. Good dealers can have a few crappy people working for them. Unfortunately there isn't really any way to tell until you have dealt with them.

Read up on how the warranty process works:
  1. Something breaks or quits working
  2. Haul it to the SELLING dealer for evaluation
  3. Wait 2-4 weeks for manufacturer to decide if it is a warranty issue
  4. Wait for them to approve the work (hopefully ALL of it)
  5. Wait 2-6 weeks for the parts to get ordered and received (possibly longer in some cases)
  6. Wait 2 weeks or more until the dealer can fit the repairs into their schedule
It is not uncommon for some units that have issues to spend upwards of a year waiting for things to be repaired. Is it acceptable? Only if you allow it and don't do a thorough PDI.

Here is a Link to a great PDI list from Changing Gears.

I am also attaching a PDI list from the Lance forums and has been tweaked to that specific line of TT's and some known issues. Just to give you an idea of how to do a PDI and some less than obvious things to look for.

I don't expect the unit to be perfect but I do expect it to be fully functional with EVERYTHING that is supposed to be with the unit, there and working.

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PredeliveryChecklistForTrailer2.4.pdf (150.2 KB, 83 views)
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 PM   #7

North Carolina
thank you all so much for all the responses .
Old 12-31-2015, 11:22 PM   #8

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum.

As the other folks have said, don't sign the final documents until you are satisfied that any deficiencies and defects are repaired and the unit is fully functional.

On the day of your inspection leave your emotions at home.

Don't make any plans hit the road as soon as the day arrives, if there are issues that need to be resolved, leave the camper at the dealer and tell them to call you when everything has been resolved.

The dealer will be far more motivated do the work to get a new camper delivered, than to do warranty work on a unit you take delivery of.

Unfortunately there are too many stories of folks taking delivery of their new camper only to have it sit on the dealers lot for months on end.

Wear cloths you won't mind getting dirty, you will be wanting to get down low to check stuff out.

Seems that there are a lot of P-traps and wire nuts not being tightened properly in the lately. Tug, pull, twist and turn stuff, if it falls off before you own it, the dealer can fix it.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:25 AM   #9

North Carolina
thanks for all the support ! never got involved with a forum before... have to say its pretty neat hearing from everyone.!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #10

Illinois
Congratulations. We have a full paint as well. I tried to change the paint colors a bit as well. Dealer/Factory couldn't or wouldn't do it. I did manage to get the paint codes though for the colors I have. Try to wrangle some touch up paint when you get your unit. Good luck and hopefully you get a good unit.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #11

North Carolina
been thinking about it all weekend... really hoping to get them to go for the no white option. don't need them to spend more time on it, so much as just leave a step out...

your unit have any problems ? has is held up well ?

_ coming from a cyclone with dealm, "3" fireplaces (AND this one thats in it now is bad,) electrical trouble, and so on. ( and on, and on).
Old 01-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #12

Illinois
Don't want to hex myself, but we've had very few issues. In 9 months, we went in for warranty work (fit and finish things mainly) one time. My television in the living room is acting up, as was the remote for the slides, but warranty has approved a replacement. All in all, considering everything negative that gets posted here, we're very happy. We are currently wintering in our unit in Florida and with daily use, you'd expect more issues. Based on my experience only, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Voltage. FYI, they did a very nice job on the paint. My burgundy and black, along with the spotless black F-350 dually get compliments almost daily. Hoping your unit works out as well.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #13

North Carolina
that really helps.. thank you for that info
Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

Nevada
hopkins44, welcome, just for info, Rusty truck and Toy Hauler are one of the best looking, I have seen….As to RV's in General, I have had 3 Truck Campers, Trailers, 5th wheels, and 2 Toy Haulers, Most of them have been great, I do my own work and have rebuild 2 Truck Campers, one I still use in the winter, I have only had one real bad Toy Hauler and it was a Fuzion, to many thing to repair, so I sold it….You have been around, so you will know most or all the working of your new one….Like everyone stated above, do a full PDI, I let them show me everything, then I try everything myself….Take your time, and make sure they repair everything before you drive off the lot, My Voltage had a couple things go bad during the first year and my Dealer in Calif. is very good, so it took 6 months to get it back in for repairs…I had one Jack start leaking and some side moulding start coming off from the heat, so easy to repair, once I got it in, it was done in 2 weeks, so try to get them to fix everything before leaving….Good Luck and Happy Camper, I love my Voltage and my Lance Truck Camper

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote