Hello from Henry, Va - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #1

Virginia
Hello from Henry, Va

I'm David work camping on Philpott Lake in Virginia.

I just bought tis 24' Dutchmen Sport Lite. Had it one week.

All happy so far, one exception is the water starts warm to hot for 1-2 seconds then goes to below luke warm, too cool for a shower to be of comfort.

A warm shower would be nice, any solid leads for why the water temp is doing this when the burner is going well, and I flushed out the heater tank also...

I'm at a loss, on this one.....

Old 11-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #2

New York
Hi David, sorry I can't help on the hot water heater, but I can welcome you to the forum! Hopefully someone will come along who may be able to help!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #3

Virginia
Thank you Sir, I did a google search and this site came up, and I feel surely something will show anytime to assist me in this. These cool showers are no fun in the cool weather we had last week.

Thanks for the greeting.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful to know if your heater is LP or Electric or both and if both what mode are you heating it in gas only? What size heater is your tank. A little research on the internet will reveal the specs of your unit and will tell the tank size also. Remember a 6 gallon tank is small for continuous hot water running. It will not last long.
Let us know if you discover the problem and what it was for everyone's knowledge.

One last point,,, you just bought the unit. Is it new under warranty or used. if new let the dealer solve the dilemma.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Virginia
2004 Sport Lite 24' bought used

The unit is in great condition,

It is an LP gas only water heater. I'm a work camper, so I need my daily shower.
All help is appreciated.

Could the heater have an air lock?

Thank you Sir,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful to know if your heater is LP or Electric or both and if both what mode are you heating it in gas only? What size heater is your tank. A little research on the internet will reveal the specs of your unit and will tell the tank size also. Remember a 6 gallon tank is small for continuous hot water running. It will not last long.
Let us know if you discover the problem and what it was for everyone's knowledge.

One last point,,, you just bought the unit. Is it new under warranty or used. if new let the dealer solve the dilemma.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #6

Wyoming
No, probably not. The heater works on street water pressure or the water pump. In your application I'm thinking street pressure. Check to make sure one of the bypass valves is not closed. These are the valves right near the tank itself and are used to bypass the hot water tank for winterizing. Two of the valves should be open and one closed for proper operation.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

New York
David - is it in the shower only, or all faucets???
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
No, probably not. The heater works on street water pressure or the water pump. In your application I'm thinking street pressure. Check to make sure one of the bypass valves is not closed. These are the valves right near the tank itself and are used to bypass the hot water tank for winterizing. Two of the valves should be open and one closed for proper operation.
I forgot to add that which valve should be closed should be obvious when you see how the arrangement works. If in doubt, just ask and we can sort you out.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #9

Virginia
All faucets are going cold when turned on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
David - is it in the shower only, or all faucets???
It's got me beat....

Water heater is doing it's job, but the water is not getting to the outlets.

I did open the pop off valve after turing off the supply, turned the supply on then when the water came in a stream I reset the pop off valve. Tested the water inside and it was much warmer and I took a warm shower, not hot, but darn sure not cold! Now at 11:30 est., the water is like this again.