Hello from Arizona - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Arizona
Hello from Arizona

I just bought my first RV and first camper of any kind. It’s a 2019 Coleman lite 1605fb. I am taking it out next week to California for my first adventure. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions or anything they wish they would have known before their first trip??? I am all ears and appreciate any info given. Camp safe!

Jrparks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #2

Arizona
Learn by doing.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

Arizona
The more you use it the more you know, or find out , or fix,,, Our first big trip the frame fell off the main slide out window.. the drawer bottoms all popped/broke off ( even though they were not heavily filled) , changed out shower head etc... fun times.. But Welcome to the forum.
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #4

South Carolina
Bring as many tools as you can.

I probably got carried away, but our dealer messed up the hitch.
That caused me to bring some heavy duty wrenches and sockets.

Good luck and enjoy!
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrparks81 View Post
I just bought my first RV and first camper of any kind. It’s a 2019 Coleman lite 1605fb. I am taking it out next week to California for my first adventure. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions or anything they wish they would have known before their first trip??? I am all ears and appreciate any info given. Camp safe!
Welcome to the best RV forum out there. Remember to make the best of it every day. There will times you dread it but every day out is better than any day in at work. Take lots of pics and double check your tires,, hitch, slides and cabinets before rolling. Download departure and arrival lists, you can Google for a bunch of different ones. Edit and add to suit your needs. Then go over the list every time you move and twice when the hair on the back of your neck stands up. That means you missed/forgot something.

And most of all enjoy the journey!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:01 AM   #6

Arizona
Find a checklist and use it to help jog your memory during setup and departure. There are several available at various websites. It's amazing how many things can slip your mind when you're trying to get everything ready to travel. And don't forget to take the reheated coffee out of the microwave before you hit the road.
Most of all enjoy the trip.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrparks81 View Post
Welcome aboard Arizona from an Arizona transplant to Minnesota. I like Chris and Donna's comments, and a checklist is handy. I will add that when you think you're ready to pull out, do one more walk-around; I've seen folks pull out with stabilizer jacks still down, antennas still up, awnings still out, storage boxes still open, etc. One walk around is a good idea!!

Have fun and enjoy the trips!

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

Arizona
We're in the same boat with you - And in the Phx east valley too! I have no idea what will go wrong yet, but our first shakedown cruise (with hookups) is this coming weekend by Oak Creek/Cornville just to figure stuff out the first time. I found so many lists that I've bought a zillion dollars of "stuff" for this dang RV already - and it's too hot to outfit it without AC while we're here in town so I'm just chucking it all in and we'll see how it goes once we hookup and get the AC going.

One thing my folks recommended to us was to do an initial shakedown with hookups to figure it all out and then do the second one dry.

Good luck bud!

E&R

2018 Dutchmen Aerolite 2843BH
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel
etcetera16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera16 View Post
I have no idea what will go wrong yet, but our first shakedown cruise (with hookups) is this coming weekend by Oak Creek/Cornville just to figure stuff out the first time.
Is this Lo Lo Mai Springs Park by chance? If so, it's a nice little park but be advised that most of their sites are back-ins. Not sure how much experience you've had backing a travel trailer but some of those sites are pretty tight. Site 23 is a good one for a first-timer to practice with. Safe travels.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
Is this Lo Lo Mai Springs Park by chance? If so, it's a nice little park but be advised that most of their sites are back-ins. Not sure how much experience you've had backing a travel trailer but some of those sites are pretty tight. Site 23 is a good one for a first-timer to practice with. Safe travels.
Yes it is... and thanks for the head's up. Rick backed it perfectly into our storage space a couple times now, and we had a 25' boat for years that we backed all the time. So hopefully we'll be okay, but if not... you'll know where to go to get great video for the "look at these idiots trying to back up their camper" forum page

ETC

2018 Dutchmen Aerolite 2843BH
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel
etcetera16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #11

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcetera16 View Post
Yes it is... and thanks for the head's up. Rick backed it perfectly into our storage space a couple times now, and we had a 25' boat for years that we backed all the time. So hopefully we'll be okay, but if not... you'll know where to go to get great video for the "look at these idiots trying to back up their camper" forum page

ETC
Eve & Rick,
A back-up camera on the back of the trailer keeps shouting and arguments to a minimum; to say nothing about damage repairs to a trailer... I backed my trailers up for years and then bought a Furion BU Camera and LOVE IT!! With the wife in a wheelchair, my parking buddy can't help much anymore and the load falls on me and if wired right, the BU Camera also lets you see the blind spot just behind the trailer while driving...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote