Hello Everyone! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #1

Oregon
Hello Everyone!

Wife and I just purchased a new Kodiak Express 201QB to use for camping over on the Oregon coast and in the high lakes country of central Oregon. We haven't taken possession yet (Friday) but are excited by our purchase.
This seemed like a great place to pick up information on RVing in general and on the Dutchmen line of products specifically. Imagine I will also have the occasional question that I will seek some answers for. Look forward to being an active member.

Dan

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Hi Dan! Welcome to the forums!

Make sure to get us some pictures of your new rig when you get it. We LOVE pictures on here.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Illinois
Congratulations! Make sure you take your time on that pre-delivery inspection. It will save you a ton of heartache later.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

Oregon
Thanks guys. Trust me, pictures will be coming.

The dealer says the inspection should take about three hours. Anything specific I should be looking for such as known trouble spots?

One thing we did notice were two areas on the upper cabinets where the bottom edges on some corners hadn't been stained. Oddly enough, the other 201 (a 2018, ours is a 2017) at the show had the exact same areas unstained.

The other was that the dinette table was covered in a brown laminate instead of the lighter colored faux marble look that the counters all have. When we called back to commit to the purchase and mentioned it to the sales guy he just switched it with a table from another unit.

Again, any suggestions of things to really be on the lookout for would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
PDI... Make sure EVERYTHING works. If not it needs to be fixed before you leave. Look for water leaks when the system is pressurized, make sure the pump runs then shuts off when the water flow is turned off. Have them show you where all the drain down valves and low point drains are. If they are planning for 3 hours it sounds like they may have it together.

Aaron😎

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
PDI... Make sure EVERYTHING works. If not it needs to be fixed before you leave. Look for water leaks when the system is pressurized, make sure the pump runs then shuts off when the water flow is turned off. Have them show you where all the drain down valves and low point drains are. If they are planning for 3 hours it sounds like they may have it together.

Aaron😎

Thanks for the feedback Aaron. Hope they will turn out to be a good outfit. They are family owned and have been around a long time. They also own a Ford dealership in a nearby town which has a good reputation.

Three hours sounded pretty thorough to me but I'm sure not all of that will be the PDI since paperwork still needs to be done
Old 05-22-2017, 03:21 PM   #7

Oregon
Being a moderator on another forum makes me a bit more sensitive to proper posting etiquette so I would appreciate a bit of feedback regarding this one.

Since I own an ultra-lite unit should most of my posts be made in the ultra-lite sub-forum or should generic travel trailer threads (such as the one I just started about anti-sway systems) be started in the TT sub? Or does it really even matter?

Just want to make sure I am starting threads in the correct places. Thank!
Old 05-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Doesn't really matter, this is a pretty low volume board. If something ends up in the wrong place it can be moved. We are also not real strong on staying on topic either. 🙄

Aaron 😎

Old 05-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
Doesn't really matter, this is a pretty low volume board. If something ends up in the wrong place it can be moved. We are also not real strong on staying on topic either. 🙄

Aaron 😎

You mean that straying off topic or the hijacking of a thread is a problem on other forums too? I'm shocked!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #10

California
Pre delivery inspection is a must. Do an internet search and pick the one that looks right to you. Basically you are checking absolutely everything.

Most of us forget to check the brakes. Pull the emergency stop cable and then try to move forward. Brakes should be on and might even be "locked"

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:

Aaron 😎

Just don't ask for recommendations about tires <- smilie goes here.
Otherwise this will turn into 5 pages of discussions about ST versus LT tires.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #12

Arizona
One suggestion, have them show you how to winterize your rig. Might not matter right now but this is a great opportunity to learn where the key valves are and how they should be turned on or off. Believe me, you'll want to know this in November.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #13

Oregon
Great information everyone. Hearing about potential problem areas is extremely helpful in trying to make sure the new rig is functioning as it should - hopefully.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #14

Maryland
Here is a link to one PDI: RV Inspection Checklist

Also here are two others:

Good Luck and Welcome!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PredeliveryChecklistForTrailer2.4.pdf (150.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: pdf PDI_V113_2.pdf (92.8 KB, 49 views)

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #15

Florida
Hi and welcome to the forum!! You got the perfect camper for the North West! Under 26 ft, no slide, they leak!! and you will be able to get in places bigger trailers can not! Check everything before you take it off the lot. After they sell it to you the wont even remember your name. What are you towing it with? Get a new mattress topper at Wallyworld!! The mattress the come with are cheap and uncomfortable.
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #16

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcarte View Post
Here is a link to one PDI: RV Inspection Checklist

Also here are two others:

Good Luck and Welcome!
Thanks for the checklist Matt. Will come in very handy this Friday.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #17

Arizona
Our walk through was a joke, of course it was our first TT,, the slide out cut the AC wire with it's bracket,, the water heater which I kinda knew where it was since you can see it outside, had the valve open for bypass. they fixed the awning LED lights only to have it fall off when they delivered it since I didnt have a truck, first time we used the Kitchen dinette as a bed the rails broke off and the table fell to the floor.. the Air conditioner was a big one since they didnt plug it in and show you that it worked,, there was a huge hole in the duct behind the TV,, the wall was super cold,, the rest of the TT was hot.. good luck with it all though..
rich2481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 AM   #18

Oregon
Well, have had our rig home for a few days. Walk through went well - although at over three hours it was pretty long. No surprises doing the paperwork or in getting the hitch WDS and sway bar in place.

The longer we have our trailer at home the more we like it. Wife is getting it "lightly" outfitted with dishes, glasses, utensils, etc. A change in work plans may allow us to undertake a shake down trip for a few days next week