Greetings from Western Washington - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 AM   #1

Washington
Greetings from Western Washington

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and potentially new to RVing. My better half and I have been considering getting an RV for 20 years, but never pulled the trigger. Didn't want the rig to turn out like the treadmill that's taking up space in the garage.

Anyway, I think this spring we're ready to do it and purchase a 2017 Denali 289RK. Tow vehicle would be an 2013 F-150 Ecoboost with the max tow package.

Three questions:

1) Any thoughts on the quality/reliability of Denali?
2) Any thoughts on the 289RK?
3) Is my F-150 enough truck to pull the 289RK?

Thanks ahead of time for any inputs.

cougar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 AM   #2

Washington
Welcome from the Tacoma area and congrats.

Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #3

Washington
What is the info of your F-150, payload, towing?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 AM   #4

Washington
Okay for that Denali you are looking at GVWR- 9,680 lbs and hitch weight of 972 lbs, so the total weight will be the 9,680 lbs and look at the hitch weight on being about 1000 to 1100 lbs and any after that is what you have to work with. This is why we need some more info on your truck. So you don't look at the shipping weight, that is with nothing in it as it came from the factory, no battery, no propane etc, go by the combine weight on what it can carry.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #5

Nevada
Big1 is right on, Most of us would say, go to F 250 for towing, you will add a lot of items to your camper and your truck, so weight will be one thing to think about...Since your new, I always say, go rent one for a week and make sure that's the way you want to go? After that, look at a lot of units, make sure you want the one you listed, after that, do a good walk-thru, make sure everything is working, ask questions, and DON'T take it off the lot till everything is working and repaired Don't worry they want your money, so let them make you happy....I have been RVing for 25 years, so once you get one, get out there and enjoy...Good Luck and happy camping....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #6

Ontario
Welcome to the forum and Big1 and RVNevada are correct we need more info about you truck. You need to decide what else besides the TT you plan on hauling around with you. the weight will climb faster than you think, do not forget that you need to include passenger weight anything in the bed of the truck and even the drivers weight (anything over usually 150 lbs), pets, kids ect. into your calculation for max towing.

Do your research and ask all the questions you can of the people on this site and other sites if you feel the need, make sure you are getting something you are comfortable hauling with your truck, if your not happy with you TV/TT ratio once you buy the TT you won't use it.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:41 AM   #7

Kentucky
Welcome. As always on this site you are getting great advice. You need to figure out what you want in a TT then make sure you have a TV that can do the job efficiently. 1/2 ton trucks are great TV's but very limited when it comes to cargo capacity. Sure they can pull the weight but are really limited what weight you will be able to load it down with dependent on the tongue weight of the TT you choose.
BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #8

Washington
I think this is the info on the F150 you all are asking for:

CONVENTIONAL TOWING — MAXIMUM LOADED TRAILER WEIGHT RATINGS (11,200 lbs).

Max. Trailer Tow Package includes

Class IV trailer hitch receiver;
7-pin wiring harness;
upgraded radiator;
auxiliary transmission oil cooler;
trailer brake controller;
upgraded rear bumper;
SelectShift Automatic transmission;
manual-telescoping/-folding trailer tow mirrors
cougar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #9

Montana
Actually what is needed is the payload capacity. The tow rating is a bit of marketing tool and is based on unrealistic scenarios like no cargo or passengers in the truck, 150 lb driver, trailer with a particular weight distribution, etc. With a half ton/150/1500 truck, your payload capacity will be exceeded long before your trailer weight approaches the max tow rating. A rule of thumb is that the camper trailer's tongue weight will be 10-15% of the trailer's total weight, and the tongue weight is entirely supported by the tow vehicle. This is why the recommendations are to make decisions based on trailer tongue weight and vehicle's payload capacity. Typically, a half ton/150/1500 truck will have a payload capacity around 1500 lbs. So using examples provided in this thread, if your trailer's tongue weight is 1100 lbs, this means you have 1500 - 1100 = 400 lbs remaining for cargo capacity. Can you, your family, and your gear fall under that 400 lbs? Now this is playing it all by the numbers and not accounting for the fact that modern light duty trucks can be beasts. But you will absolutely know that you are flirting with maximum design capacity when you get there and may not enjoy the experience. It isn't so much the power to pull it, it is the ability to handle and support it and maybe most importantly stop it in a panic situation.

EDIT: for a quick reference of the payload capacity for your specific truck, open the driver's door. You'll find a label either on the edge of the door or on the frame pillar that tells you the payload capacity for your truck as built.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:49 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar86 View Post

1) Any thoughts on the quality/reliability of Denali?
2) Any thoughts on the 289RK?
3) Is my F-150 enough truck to pull the 289RK?

Thanks ahead of time for any inputs.
Hello and welcome. I really enjoyed traveling through your part of the country in 2015 in my Denali. Got hung up on the Hood bridge for a few minutes while the Navy was playing games. The Kingston ferry was kinda expensive but fun to watch as my GPS showing us traveling over the Sound.
1. I got my 289RK used so the previous owner had to deal with the early bugs. It's been a great trailer since we've owned it but with the way they're cranking 'em out these days you may want to be extra vigilant during the PDI.
2. We love ours, the layout is perfect for us. I'm currently replacing the stereo system (an LCI Touch Audio) with a conventional vehicle AM/FM/XM system for better usability. Watch for my photos in the mods board later on.
3. You may want to seriously consider going up to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. Our tongue weight is right around 1150 pounds. The F250 (diesel) has no problem hauling it up and down the Colorado Interstate but I suspect the F150 would have a struggle.