Greetings from Deepest Deep South - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 12:48 AM   #1

Alabama
Greetings from Deepest Deep South

Good evening to all-
I'm a new guy from south Alabama, and my wife and I recently found and bought a very nice 2016 Coleman travel trailer that fits our needs nicely. We've got it just about equipped and ready to move to its new home. We have a lot at Port St. Joe, Florida set up with power, water in/water out, and a solid gravel driveway. We park the trailer, hook it up, and watch the eagles fly over and we go fishing.
We're both retired teachers, and I write for a number of regional outdoor magazines- primarily about fishing and kayaking.
This new trailer replaces our old unit which we lost in October. It seems that Hurricane Michael put a 6 foot storm surge over our lot, and it seems that ravel trailers don't float well at all.
But we're back in the game again, and I am having trouble being patient about pulling it over and setting it up.
I hope to talk with you good folks from time to time on this forum. Good camping to all- Ed

Ed from Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #2

Arizona
Welcome Ed. TT's not floating may be yet another example of shoddy workmanship. LOL Hope you get the trailer to the lot soon so you can enjoy the summer.
RichH

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

Alabama
greetings to Aguablanco

- I am pleased to hear from someone from the desert. My wife and I spent 2017 in Chandler, AZ helping with grandkids- my son teaches school at Mesa.
We got to see some pretty amazing things while out there- loved the Superstition Mountains and the hiking trails,Salt River and the Rim and the White Mountains remain some of our favorite . I even enjoyed fishing in the Mesa irrigation canals too- some seriously large fish live there. There is a Latin market out Wray Road that I loved to stop by and get chicken and carne asada from the older lady who did the cooking.
I wish we had been able to bring our TT out there to stay in, but that couldn't happen- there were some fine looking camping areas I'd like to have been able to explore.
Good hearing from you- good travels and happy camps- Ed
Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #4

Alabama
Hey Ed. My wife and I live in Elberta and have been camping at St Joseph State Park for 34 years. What a shame to lose it to Michael. We have scouted around for places to stay in the area as the beaches are so beautiful.

Good luck with your endeavors in Port St Joe. Love the Jo Mamas Pizza and Peppers Mexican restaurant.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:00 AM   #5

Alabama
BAMA here also

I’m
In the Birmingham area welcome back. Glad you got a replacement. You might want to put a set of outriggers on this one lol!
Bigbird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

Alabama
re: Port St Joe

Good morning to all-
Yes, the park out at Cape San Blas is a mess. They are in process of determining what recovery efforts will be made there. The old campgrounds are totally inaccessible now- there's a new pass of water from the Gulf to the Bay where the old swimming area used to be.
Fixing up the park is going to be very expensive, but I am certain Florida will do something to make it possible for folks to camp and stay again.
There are some good places to eat in PSJ- Joe Momma's is good, and of course, Paul Gant's barbecue is quite good.
We love to go out on the bay in kayaks or our fishing boat and catch fish.
Our fish camp lot is on 30-A about halfway between PSJ and the right turn toward the old park. We should be moving the new trailer over in a week or so- after this hot little squall line blows through and settles.
nice hearing from you- Ed