Electrical Issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Texas
Electrical Issues

Hello, I have a 2003 Dutchman Supreme fifthwheel. It has been stored for the last few months, prior to that, we were living in it. We just moved it to a new location and was setting it up to stay in again, plugged it in, electric came on but shut off after just a few minutes. Now there is no power at all. We have checked breakers but none were flipped. At a loss and can't afford to hire anyone to check it out for me. Help please!?!?!?

Lbh1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Texas
100% sure you have shore power?

Once that is confirmed, are you 100% sure your main (30 amp?) service breaker onboard isn't tripped? (maybe without looking like it is)

I realize I risk being insulting, but I don't intend to be. It's just that process-of-elimination starts with eliminating something!

2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
100% sure you have shore power?

Once that is confirmed, are you 100% sure your main (30 amp?) service breaker onboard isn't tripped? (maybe without looking like it is)

I realize I risk being insulting, but I don't intend to be. It's just that process-of-elimination starts with eliminating something!
Snake,

You're a long way from insulting. Both are the first things I would check.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #4

Texas
Yes I am 100% sure that no breakers are tripped. But no I don't think that was insulting. The electric was on and just shut down, first thing we did was check all breakers and the plug.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

Texas
Also it's a 2001 Dutchman Supreme not a 2003....sorry.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:37 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Do you have enough cable to run it to another power source to eliminate problems in the post outlet? Even a 20 amp to test. Just a thought...

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 AM   #7

Florida
Could be as simple as dirty contacts on power cable. You really need a voltmeter to trace down the problem. If you can't afford an RV tech, there are usually fellow campers more than willing to lend their expertise.

Good luck and please report back the solution.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbh1012 View Post
Yes I am 100% sure that no breakers are tripped. But no I don't think that was insulting. The electric was on and just shut down, first thing we did was check all breakers and the plug.
Check your power cord, could be a broken wire. Next check the trailer receptacles wiring in the junction box for failed connections. From there, to the panel should be straight run of 8 gauge wire. Next get into and behind the panel and check for broken connections.

If non of that solves your problem, it could be a failed breaker.

After that I'm back to the books, do you have your power distribution manual. If not check the manufacturers web site, and go to the trouble shootin section.

Good luck, I hope you find it to be a simple thing.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:46 AM   #9

Texas
It did turn out to be the main breaker at the pole. We had to flip it on and off several times but finally came on and no more trouble. Maybe the metal had build up on it inside, not sure. I want to thank everyone for the assistance, keep up the good work.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbh1012 View Post
It did turn out to be the main breaker at the pole. We had to flip it on and off several times but finally came on and no more trouble. Maybe the metal had build up on it inside, not sure. I want to thank everyone for the assistance, keep up the good work.
It's always the little stuff.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a surge protector, it will tell you if there is power at the pole and if it is wired correctly. But the big thing is it will save your appliances and electronics.