Denali 280LBS - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #1

California
Denali 280LBS

Hope I'm doint this right, I'm new to the forum. Also new to 5'ers, just sold the TT yesterday. Going to pick up a new 280LBS this weekend. Sight unseen. Hoping for a good outcome. Any comments are appreciated. Plan on pulling it with a new F250 diesel with the prep package, shortbed so I'm getting the Reese slider. Going to have 2 9years olds in the bunks (maybe mother-in-law) and heading to Calgary this summer for family.

Jlew127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #2

Washington
You've got plenty of truck there for that 5er, and it should handle it really well. I love the Calgary area....but as long as you are up north, try to take the time to get up to Jasper in the Rockies......breathtaking around every turn.

Glenn and Cheryle- loving retirement
Spokane, Washington
2012 Denali 289RK
2012 F150 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
Denali2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

California
check, Jasper, I will mention it to the boss. She's mentioned Lake Louise, not sure bout that, I think she just likes the name.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

Alberta
Lake Louise is beautiful as well. The drive from Louise to Jasper is amazing. Goes past the columbia icefield.

Here's a nice picture of Lake Louise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LakeLouise-1024x677.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	431  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

British Columbia
Jasper Alberta..my favorite place to camp.....drove the Jasper to Banff highway with our TT...straight..some hills, I think semis are prohibited..scenery spectacular rain or shine....be prepared for all sorts of weather..yes even a little snow especially early spring or late fall..watch out for goats or maybe they are sheep,,bears,elk, tourists.

We stopped at Saskatchewan Crossing ....About 1/2 between Jasper-Banff for gas it was very expensive. ( we have a small gas tank and milage not great)

No soft sided TT in Lake Louis due to bears or you can tent/camp in a fenced compound.

If you can do it worth the trip...
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #6

California
Thanks for the pic Ecoboost, we will definitely put that on the agenda. Hey Cooper, what about spots between the border and Lake Louise, this is a long drive to Calgary, anything to stop and see before we get to the lake?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlew127 View Post
Thanks for the pic Ecoboost, we will definitely put that on the agenda. Hey Cooper, what about spots between the border and Lake Louise, this is a long drive to Calgary, anything to stop and see before we get to the lake?
Jlew127

We haven't travelled from the border to Lake Louise. We take the TransCanada #1 highway East to Revelstoke through Glacier National Park and on to Lake Louise.....or we go to Jasper ...5.5 hours north east of us in Kamloops.... then south to Lake Louise...

If your in Calgary...head west to Banff and on to Lake Louise.

What route are you taking to Calgary?.....if your going through Washington State maybe Glenn ( Denali2012) from Spokane Wash. can help.
Canada
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #8

California
Coop,
It looks like maybe up through Bellingham and then what?, Highway 5?, past Kamloops and into Calgary. Yeah looks like a long drive just to be in Calgary for a wedding reception. Then turn around and drive back. We'll make something out of it and put that Denali through its paces.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #9

California
Just a note to close out this thread. Picked up the 280 on Saturday and it looked good. Dragged it home and that was awesome, pulling a 5'er is nothing like a TT, very smooth and easy. Must say on getting it home and a closer inspection I was a little disappointed in the fit and finish done in the interior. I would rate it as "Average", shortcuts and a little sloppy. But, now it's mine and alot of that will be cleaned up to my standards. Overall, very excited, taking it to the lake this weekend and looking forward to years of "Roughing it". Thanks
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlew127 View Post
Coop,
It looks like maybe up through Bellingham and then what?, Highway 5?, past Kamloops and into Calgary. Yeah looks like a long drive just to be in Calgary for a wedding reception. Then turn around and drive back. We'll make something out of it and put that Denali through its paces.
My appologizes for the tardy response...was out camping....from Bellingham to Vancouver:
Some options:
Vancouver to Whistler then on the Duffy Lake road and come out at Cache Creek then on to Kamloops and the # 1 highway to Lake Louise..this route is 2 lane highway, nice scenery, twisty roads narrow in spots, slow going. Not my favorite road if in a hurry to get to Calgary.

Vancouver to Hope: through parts of Vancouver BC on the # 1 highway.... 4 lane road.
At Hope u have 3 different options:

Take the Coquihalla Highway 5 (el. 1,244 m or 4,081 ft) is a highway summit along the Coquihalla Highway.] It is the highest point on the highway between the cities of Hope and Merritt. It is located just south of the former toll booth plaza on the Coquihalla Highway, about 50 km (31 mi) north of Hope, and 65 km (40 mi) south of Merritt and is the divide between the Coquihalla River and the Coldwater River.
The ascent to the Coquihalla Summit is very steep, especially from the south. The ascent is particularly steep after passing northbound through the Great Bear snow shed From Wiki....and on to Kamloops....not my favorite when pulling a trailer or during the winter.

Fraser Canyon to Cache Creek then to Kamloops
The Fraser Canyon is an 84 km landform of the Fraser River where it descends rapidly through narrow rock gorges in the Coast Mountains en route from the Interior Plateau of British Columbia to the Fraser Valley. Colloquially, the term "Fraser Canyon" is often used to include the Thompson Canyon from Lytton to Ashcroft. From wiki
Good 2 lane road, no long grades, follows the Fraser River with nice vistas, easier pull than the Coquihalla...my choice if I was pulling my trailer . Not so hard on the truck. On to Kamloops

Hope to Princeton then to Kelowna on to Revelstoke..2 lane highway ...scenic. Long way to get to Calgary...if you have time a nice trip.

Kamloops to Revelstoke - Lake Louise
Emerald Lake, Natural Bridge and Takakkaw Falls within Yoho Park. Kicking Horse Pass . Continental Divide into Banff National Park. Lake Louise, the 'Jewel of the Rockies'. Explore the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

Lake Louise - Banff National
travel part of the Icefields Parkway - It winds up from Bow Valley and offers outstanding viewpoints and excellent wildlife viewing. Continue to Banff, part of the UNESCO Rocky Mountain Park. Banff National Park offers spectacular mountain scenery and many natural attractions.

Banff National Park
Upper Hot Springs, Cave & Basin Centre, Bow Falls and the Hoodoos golf at Banff Springs Hotel. The gondola ride to the Top of Sulphur Mountain?

Banff - Calgary
Take the Trans-Canada-Highway towards Calgary.

Not sure what route to take through Wash. or Idaho State...maybe some others can chime in
Hope this helps..other comments welcome.

Coops
Canada
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #11

British Columbia
Jlew127..with the Skagit bridge on the main road to the border out,,,you may have to change your plans or use the detour...hope yolks weren't hit by the earthquake today.

Coops
Canada
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

California
We had an earthquake? Must have missed it.
(I think it was about 300 miles south of us)
Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #13

California
Hey Coop,
Thanks again for all that info. Still planning, this thread has turned into a "Going to Calgary" thread, I hope that's all right. Anyway I am looking at going through Spokane, to Calgary and then maybe Kamloops. The boss says there is a water park in Kamloops? Is it that warm in Canada in late July? Then maybe back down through Wa. We're hoping to see Crater Lake (OR) on the way, Coeur d'Alene (Public safety retirement haven), and then Calgary followed by Banff (maybe Glacier). I'd like to take as much time as possible, the boss may put me on a schedule though.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #14

British Columbia
Sorry for the delay just got back for camping at Mabel Lake.....NOPE NO WATER SLIDE In Kamloops...went "belly up" no pun intended...nothing there but a hill of dirt.
In Kamloops it's really hot at the end of July....in the high 30's. Coeur d'Alene Spokane area is nice..let me know if u need anything else.
Take care
Coops

Canada