Almost new..... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

Idaho
Almost new.....

Hello from Idaho. We picked up our 2015 Aspen Trail 1900 in March of '15........so we are "almost new" to the TT world. We had a '02 Coleman pop-up for a year prior to the 1900 and have fully enjoyed the upgrade. Looks like the forum has tons of great info and at least as much good conversation. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:21 PM   #2

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
Hello from Idaho. We picked up our 2015 Aspen Trail 1900 in March of '15........so we are "almost new" to the TT world. We had a '02 Coleman pop-up for a year prior to the 1900 and have fully enjoyed the upgrade. Looks like the forum has tons of great info and at least as much good conversation. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
Welcome to the forum.. Its good to see another Aspen Trail 1900 owner..

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum.

Nice part of paradise you got there.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #4

Idaho
Nice part of paradise you got there.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, we sure enjoy it.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:45 AM   #5

Florida
Welcome
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 PM   #6

California
Welcome, we also have a19 our is rear bath.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #7

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
Welcome, we also have a19 our is rear bath.
Same here, been a great trailer, other than it being a low rider...... Getting ready to do an axle flip. I like the vinyl wrap you had done, any chance you know the color code? Thinking i should pull the copy cat on you. BTW I spent some time in the Sac. area. As a kid my mother ran a group home in south sac......I had an odd childhood. We lived in citrus heights and roseville as well, awesome area of the state.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 AM   #8

California
Do not know the code, but he used a grey wrap. And in person it matches so good you cannot tell it was not factory, find a vinyl wrap vehicle place in your area and take your rig there and have them do it. Ir really makes a difference in person. Now have a finished product.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

California

Glad you found us. Ask away if you have any questions lots of RV knowledge here.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

Missouri
We just bought a Coleman single axle small new travel trailer. The dump out station area is especially "low". Could you explain your "Axle Flip" idea? Does this raise the trailer up higher off the ground? Is it a do it yourself project; or does a mechanic do it when up on a rack?
mcblankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:58 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcblankenship View Post
We just bought a Coleman single axle small new travel trailer. The dump out station area is especially "low". Could you explain your "Axle Flip" idea? Does this raise the trailer up higher off the ground? Is it a do it yourself project; or does a mechanic do it when up on a rack?
A single axle trailer would be very easy to do. The axle isn't flipped it's just remounted on the bottom of the spring. Here is a place that has the info.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-384-00.html
Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #12

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcblankenship View Post
I know a number of people that have had it done at the axle shop, I plan on doing it in my drive way. I have no idea what it would cost to have done at a shop but at $45 an axle and some basic mechanical know how (youtube videos) its worth a shot. I think the tricky part is going to be getting the TT up high enough and blocked up safely to do the work. Most of the time I just kinda go at it and figure it out on the way but I have put alot of thought into this one. We had plans to do it at a friends place but it dawned on me that if for some reason we couldn't get it done it would have to sit there so I moved location. I plan on doing a wright up and posting that with some pic's. Probably get going on it mid-late march.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #13

Idaho

Here are a couple links of videos that I have watched.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
I know a number of people that have had it done at the axle shop, I plan on doing it in my drive way. I have no idea what it would cost to have done at a shop but at $45 an axle and some basic mechanical know how (youtube videos) its worth a shot. I think the tricky part is going to be getting the TT up high enough and blocked up safely to do the work. Most of the time I just kinda go at it and figure it out on the way but I have put alot of thought into this one. We had plans to do it at a friends place but it dawned on me that if for some reason we couldn't get it done it would have to sit there so I moved location. I plan on doing a wright up and posting that with some pic's. Probably get going on it mid-late march.
You need about a tree and a half to get your trailer raised off the ground or a good set of jack stands and a few concrete blocks.

I used a 20 ton jack (only thing in had at the time) and lots of blocking to get the jack up to the frame. It's fun trying to find the balance point of the frame with a hydraulic jack.

Get that side of the camper on jack stands, make sure they are good and solid once the load is on them, they have to hold their side up while your working on the other side.

It took a bit of work to get it up there, my trailer sits high and I don't have flipped axles.

While your going to be in to suspension I suggest that you do a set of wet bolts at the same time. You can either go with a kit or bulk parts from a spring shop. When I ordered new axles I ordered the bulk stuff. When I went to pick up the axles and hardware, I found that they didn't have the heavy duty shackles. Fortunately they were a Dexter Dealer and had the kit in stock so we switched it.

The shackles in the kit are just under 2 1/2 times the thickness of the stock shackles.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 PM   #15

California
You don't need to raise both sides up at the same time. My son & I did his 2 axle Wilderness 5th wheel one side at a time.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
You don't need to raise both sides up at the same time. My son & I did his 2 axle Wilderness 5th wheel one side at a time.
Of course you can. Here I am thinking about what I did when I put the new axles in.

Either way it's a good time to go with the wet bolts, if your a high miler or do a lot of dirt road towing.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #17

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I will have to keep that in mind. Did you weld the new spring seat to the axle? I have heard of it being done without welding it and in my opinion thats not a great idea.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 PM   #18

Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Of course you can. Here I am thinking about what I did when I put the new axles in.

Either way it's a good time to go with the wet bolts, if your a high miler or do a lot of dirt road towing.
Thanks for the advice, it would make sense to do it all at once. We don't go to far but it can't hurt to beef it up. I would rather do it in the drive way than on the side of the road. As far as dirt roads go, it seems to be my luck that they are more muddy when I'm on them.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:15 AM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
As far as dirt roads go, it seems to be my luck that they are more muddy when I'm on them.
That's the day you have to pick your rut very caefully, you could be in it a long time.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #20

California
Got it weighed

Got the trailer weighed today with not loaded for a trip but with everything pretty much in it. (no water etc) The truck, trailer, me and dog weight 9,900 and trailer alone is 4,220 as hooked up to pickup.

Next will do the tongue weight with my new scale. right now getting the spring bolts and bushings change to wet and metal..