After Chasing Bad Guys All My Life, Now it's Time to Take Life Easy - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #21

Ontario
Hey azdryheat....the Canadian firearm laws are considerably more strict than they are in the U.S. so, no, I am not allowed to carry. The only people who can carry are provincially or federally appointed law enforcement personnel and ONLY when on duty. Even our military, except for MP's, can not carry, even when on duty or in uniform (they can if the defense minister gives them the order). Also, members of a bona fide shooting club, with the proper permit, can carry from their home to the shooting club and back....but don't you dare make a side trip to the grocery store on the way back and get caught!!! Canadian cops have a lot of respect for US law enforcement personnel because guns are so easy to obtain and are legal to carry in many states that you never know when making a traffic stop what might happen. I made thousands of stops and arrests in my 35yrs and had to draw my weapon maybe a couple dozen times but never fired....although I was shot at a few times and held hostage with a shotgun....I managed to come home after every shift. I would not want our gun laws to be like they are in the US - that's one of the major differences between our two countries.....our constitution does not refer to any right to bear arms in any way.

Glad you made it back after every shift too Bro!!!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #22

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Mountie View Post
Hey EricNSTL....since we have the same rig, would you have any advice for us such as things you don't like, problems out of the gate, what to watch out for etc....? We are TT newbs here so any information would be greatly appreciated.
My only complaint is it's a bitch to make the bed! I remember when my wife and I were looking at TT and found this one, we realized that they used as much space as they could for the living area, but sacrificed a few square feet for the bedroom. We both said, it doesn't matter, we just sleep in the bedroom. Well... that's true, we do sleep there, but we still have to make the bed. When you get yours, and make your bed for the first time, you'll say... Now I know what he was talking about...

With that said, you should note, that I am not complaining about anything else about the trailer. I can not think of any specific thing to look at the special to our model. I have had a few problems, but nothing major. And it was all taken care of on warrantee.

Oh yea... there is one thing that I am trying to get changed this winter.. Look at your gray and black tank valves. They took a shortcut on mine, that I want fixed. The rear kitchen gray tank is fine, but the way the plumbed my bathroom black and gray is wrong. There is a thread about it you can read. http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...w-up-1635.html If you need more info on that let me know and I can explain more. I would definitely not take delivery unless it is done correctly. (I should have joined the forum and asked questions like you before I got mine!)

There are several threads on here about PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection), Just go through everything, and most important, do it prior to the signing of the papers.

Just for the record, if I could do it all over again, I would have bought the same thing.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #23

Ontario
Thanks Eric. I read about the blk vs grey tanks and called the manufacturer. They assured me that they were not aware of this issue and that I should be able to drain each tank independently. For some reason, I kind of doubt that since many folks have had that problem....will certainly have it verified before taking possession or at the very least, have it in writing that it will be fixed (we are taking possession pretty much a day or two before we leave for a one week camping trip to try everything out).
Old 11-11-2014, 01:02 AM   #24

Arizona
Quote:
Hey EricNSTL....since we have the same rig, would you have any advice for us such as things you don't like, problems out of the gate, what to watch out for etc....? We are TT newbs here so any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Yves,
FYI, my French teacher use to call me that name (actually it's Dave).
I have the 2012 version of the same trailer. We love it but haven't had a chance to really try it out on a real trip yet.
If you're wondering where some of the subsystems are hiding here's some things I found on my Denali.
To get to the back of the water heater you need to pull off a sidewall at the left side of the cookware storage bin under the stove. You'll need to be a bit of a contortionist to work the bypass valves for winterizing your system.
The furnace is hiding in a compartment behind the drawers under the kitchen counter. Don't know how much of a hassle it is to get to yet.
The water pump is underneath the bathroom sink. Next to it is an accumulator to minimize water pulsing. I have a strainer on the water pump inlet.
If you decide to put in a hardwired (not portable)electrical management system you will find that the shore power cable is accessible behind a panel located in the lower left part of the entertainment center. This area is a main entry point for wiring and plumbing so it's like Grand Central Station in there.
Also, be careful when extending the living room slide. You want to be sure that the doors of the entertainment center and the pantry are closed first. Otherwise they'll tear the trim out of the slide.

I think you're going to enjoy your Denali. We're taking ours out to Tucson over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #25

Ontario
Dave, thanks a million for the info!!!

I was wondering where I would find all those systems as we have not yet had our familiarization session nor do we have the owner's manual.

Great to hear that you love your rig. Wish we had weather like some of you southern US brothers and sisters but....here, when it's winter, it's fu*&?ng cold!!!! I read some posts of guys winterizing and then de-winterizing for an outing and then re-winterizing again - man I envy them. Maybe in a few years we will head south for the winter but for the time being, my wife and I are the only ones caring for my 92 year old WWII veteran father so we stay close as we want him to be as comfortable as possible knowing that we are no more than a couple of hours away during summer camping. He is in very good shape for his age and is in a autonomous retirement residence but he hates it when we are not around. But......when the time comes and we no longer have that responsibility, we will have to re-assess. The only drawback is the darn cost of medical insurance. We are both 57(me) and 55, in good health, non-smokers but still, for a 3-4 month stint in the US, we are looking at about $5-6K for complete coverage.

Any other info you feel like passing on Dave, don't hesitate...we are real sponges at this time. We have experience with truck campers so we are not complete noobs but TT's are a brand new experience.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #26

California
Quote:
Dave, thanks a million for the info!!!

Any other info you feel like passing on Dave, don't hesitate...we are real sponges at this time. We have experience with truck campers so we are not complete noobs but TT's are a brand new experience.
As you have had a camper you will just find that a TT is much the same. Has more room & needs to be towed & not carried.
We started out with a tent camper then went to TT, then 5th wheels & now 5th wheel toyhauler. Kind of the same but all different.
Best thing about any of them is you have your own bathroom & you don't have to sleep on the ground.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #27

Wyoming
Welcome to the forum! Just head out here to the west coast if you want to avoid snow.
Thanks for your 35 years as a Mountie!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #28

Missouri
I see there are some differences in the 2012 to 2014 models... And most likely between 2014 and 2014 models. It seems no two are the same.

Anyway, I noticed some of the 2014 have the power panel above the living room TV (like mine) and some have them under the stove.

On mine to access the hot water heater and water pump, you remove the drawer under the stove and its right there on the left. It actually has pretty good access to both. So as you can see we already have two different water pump locations.. Mine is next to the hot water heater and Dave's is in the bathroom under the sink. It's two bad that there is no consistency in the build of the trailers.

Just a note, have you seen the new 2015 models? Here is a picture, it looks like they have gone to a fiberglass front cap, and dropped the remote control system for the slides and awnings, and also the one I just looked at doesn't have the rear camera. The windows are also not the frameless type, which is surprising, since the frameless type look way better. They also change to color to what they call oyster.
Here's a pic,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015 denali.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1604  

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 11-12-2014, 02:47 AM   #29

Arizona
Quote:

One more thing you might find useful. Like many TT owners I was always intimidated by the idea of having to eventually backup the trailer. Here's a little simulator for practice:
http://www.marops.net/portfolio/trailer-reversing-game
Its rather simple-minded but it demonstrates the physics of backing up a trailer in a realistic manner. Try it but try to keep in mind that it is actually easier to backup a 34' trailer versus the little boat trailer depicted here.
I have spent hours getting my technique down then trying it out on a real trailer. It worked! I now have a reasonable degree of confidence that I can back a trailer into most normal back-in sites.
How's the Arctic weather treating you in Canada?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:07 AM   #30

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
One more thing you might find useful. Like many TT owners I was always intimidated by the idea of having to eventually backup the trailer. Here's a little simulator for practice:
Trailer Reversing Game | Marops
Its rather simple-minded but it demonstrates the physics of backing up a trailer in a realistic manner. Try it but try to keep in mind that it is actually easier to backup a 34' trailer versus the little boat trailer depicted here.
I have spent hours getting my technique down then trying it out on a real trailer. It worked! I now have a reasonable degree of confidence that I can back a trailer into most normal back-in sites.
How's the Arctic weather treating you in Canada?

LOL that was hard.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 11-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #31

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
LOL that was hard.
That's at least 10x harder than actually backing a trailer up.
Also more stressful.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #32

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
That's at least 10x harder than actually backing a trailer up.
Also more stressful.
Never had to back down a boat ramp like that one in real life.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #33

Ontario
Well Dave, it's getting mighty chilly up here. Went up to about 5C which would be about 36 US...LOL. Pretty soon, that whit crap will be covering everything but I got the X-Mas lights up yesterday

As for backing up, I am not too, too concerned since we just sold our 18.5' outboard which was 22' total length. What will be a new experience is turning corners and going in for gas with a45'+ rig. Got some good pointers on here though so I'll go easy at first but I should be good by the 3-4th outing......I hope
Old 11-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #34

Ontario
Welcome from Toronto!!! We just put ours away yesterday! May 1st can't come soon enough. We have decided to park her in a seasonal site next season so we can enjoy every weekend vs. every other weekend. Also we have two small kids, seasonal will be easier until they are older.

How is the weather in Ottawa today? I heard we all should be preparing for a LONG cold winter. If we thought last year was bad, this year is going to make it look tame o.O
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #35
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
Welcome from Toronto!!! We just put ours away yesterday! May 1st can't come soon enough. We have decided to park her in a seasonal site next season so we can enjoy every weekend vs. every other weekend. Also we have two small kids, seasonal will be easier until they are older.

How is the weather in Ottawa today? I heard we all should be preparing for a LONG cold winter. If we thought last year was bad, this year is going to make it look tame o.O
Y'all keep that cold stuff up there where it BELONGS!

Normally I start putting stuff in my garden under cold frames around Valentine's Day, this past year I couldn't because it was under 10" of snow... in NORTH CAROLINA! Threw my whole summer off

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 AM   #36

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Y'all keep that cold stuff up there where it BELONGS!

Normally I start putting stuff in my garden under cold frames around Valentine's Day, this past year I couldn't because it was under 10" of snow... in NORTH CAROLINA! Threw my whole summer off

Aaron
haha Valentines we are still digging out! I don't like snow, I don't like the cold, I don't like winter sports/toys. I really don't know why I still live here! If it wasn't for your brutal medical coverage in the US, I might wander down there
WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #37

Arizona
Quote:
What will be a new experience is turning corners and going in for gas with a45'+ rig. )
True that, especially when the only pump with diesel fuel is somewhat tricky to get to. You won't have that problem though.

Next summer I plan to visit Banff National Park. I hear it's really gorgeous country up there. Any advice about that?

Dave
Old 11-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #38

Ontario
Hey Occupant5143.....I served out west in Saskatchewan but never made it to Banff although I hear it is very beautiful. Get ready for a gas sticker shock though!! Your 250 will tow the 289RK no probs but with the mountains, she'll be sucking like a baby... I hope you enjoy yourself!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #39

Ontario
I'm with WASABI about the cold and winter!! Right now it' 9:15am and 1c or about 34US..LOL

I heard he same thing about it being long and cold but so far so good. Last year, we had snow on the ground on the 15th of Nov. and it stayed. The long range forecast shows some snow but the temps will be higher in the daytime so it should not stay. Let's hope it waits until mid-Dec!!! Oh well, I have my blower all tuned up and the long-johns are out in the drawer
Old 11-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #40

California
Not to make you folks feel bad but should have a high around 80 today around Palm Springs Ca.