2016 Voltage 3970 Furnace - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

Texas
Thumbs down 2016 Voltage 3970 Furnace

We picked up our unit on March 3, 2106. We ran the furnace just to make sure it worked and it did. Earlier this month we needed it and turned it on. Temp set above inside temp, no programming set, fan on auto. Did not sound as if ignition was triggering, did not blow heat, did not sound as if furnace was running. Left on for an hour and no change in temp, no heat felt. Checked propane, one tank 1/2, one tank full, valve open. Lines working since we had just used the stove. Pulled the outside furnace cover off, pressed the reset button (it did not look as if it had been tripped and did not click when I pushed it). Had the wife turn on the furnace while I stood outside near it and the ignitor did not activate. Checked all breakers and fuses (I think this runs off a 15 amp fuse on the DC panel), I waited for over 60 seconds just in case. No gas smell either. Any ideas?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

Florida
The blower fan must kick in before you get any gas flowing to the burner. Check power to the blower.

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #3

British Columbia
Ken,

Just for the fun of it, take the t-stat off of auto fan and set it to heat.

The furnace as to go through a cycle of "self diagnostics" to fire. The first the combustion air fan has to activate the sail switch. Once the sail switch signals that there is enough combustion air, it will open the gas valve and the furnace will try to fire. If it doesn't fire in three attempts it goes into lockout mode.

Did someone by chance turn the furnace gas valve off? Check for voltage at the furnace and check to make sure that your fuse is good.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Texas
You both have good ideas, I think, but my problem all this goes over my head. I read about the sail thing but thought I had accidentally switched to a boating magazine 🤓. I really am clueless about fhese things orher han real basic checks. I do jot even know where the blower or fuse or power is to the blower. But thanks for your input. If i somehow start to get educated, I will definitely look at those things you recommend
kensherripesce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Texas
Hddecker I re-read what you said and will try that. The "t-stat" thing threw me bit finally figured out it was thermostat. Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Texas
No one could have cut off he gas as no one has been in it since I picked it up or since the one time it did work
Old 04-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #7

Illinois
I'm not a mechanical whiz either, but if you check YouTube and search, you will probably find some answers.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:13 PM   #8

Texas
ICV800, you are right. I aleays forget about youtube. I'll give it a try
Old 04-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensherripesce View Post
Hddecker I re-read what you said and will try that. The "t-stat" thing threw me bit finally figured out it was thermostat. Thanks
Sorry Ken, I sometimes use abreviations when I should be spelling things out.

I hope you have it figured out, don't worry we all learn from the School of RV Mysteries.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

Nevada
Ken, just reset the thermostat, sometimes it is just reading the A/C..
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Ken, just reset the thermostat, sometimes it is just reading the A/C..
Damn, that's the one I always forget. Like when you can't get online, reboot the modem. Can't get satellite TV, reboot the receiver.

You would think after all them hours on hold, you would remember that.

Oh, for the days of flipping a switch and the thing works.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 AM   #12

British Columbia
Hello all,
Just joined ..forgive my ignorance. I have the exact same problem. I set thermostat to furnace fan is set to auto..blower comes on...no ignition...checked the bottle ..seems half full. Anyway I'll try this..but lol how do you reset the thermostat (I usually do a manual power disconnect beside the gen set to avoid any drainage on the batteries) I would have thought this resets everything everytime I leave the trailer while in storage.
Voltage799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #13

Texas
Furnace problem

Well the mystery has been solved. When ,y toilet overflowed, water entered the heater duct works. Although I dried the ductwork out quickly, water made it to the control board and corroded it so igniter did not work. The fan worked for a while after the igniter quit, but then it also died. RV repair came out and as soon as the cover was removed outside, bingo. Blue crap all over the control board. Went through one weekend of 10-15 degree weather using only electric heat, nearly froze. But all is well. Thanks all for the help.