2015 2810bhs Aspen Trail- new to rv'ing! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen RV Owner's Community Forums > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2015, 03:17 AM   #1

Maryland
Talking 2015 2810bhs Aspen Trail- new to rv'ing!

Hello! we are a family of five and brand new to this whole rv'ing thing but super excited to be here at last!! We are fresh from the rv show where we pulled the trigger on the 2810BHS, which we expect to be ready April-ish. Looking forward to tips and tricks offered from the veterans and recommendations on places to take 3 kids under 11 on the East Coast!

thanks!! thinking SPRING as I look out the window at the snow on the ground.

KreinerFamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

South Carolina
Reading this, I was thinking about how our kids learned when they were little. Make sure they all walk around with you during the first few hook-ups and set-ups. Make sure you teach them the dangerous spots, like the hitch, and to stay back at critical times. Then give them each jobs. Water hose, drain hose, wheel chocks, secure the television, etc, etc. There will be a temptation to send them to the playground while mom and dad do the "hard stuff." Resist that, and get them involved. You 'll be happy you did, they will learn, and each future movement will be easier. Congratulations, and welcome!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:46 AM   #3

Maryland
what a great idea MartyG! thank you! they'll be thrilled to have 'jobs'!

Just heard from the dealer that the unit we were expecting in April could be ready as early as this weekend! woot!!! can't hardly contain the excitement!!

we've watched every 'how to' video on YouTube! twice! can. not. wait!!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #4

Texas
Congraulations , we also have a 2810bhs and its been great. a lot of features for the money. if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #5

Montana
Congratulations! I recommend some "pretend camping" in the driveway before you head out on a maiden voyage. Then you learn what you need, might need, maybe don't need, etc., as well as how to use your camper.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Maryland
another great idea ewarnerusa! and the kids'll think that's a hoot- camping in the driveway!! thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

Maryland
rbordner- we bought it at the RV show and feel like we got a really good deal, great value for all the features...although we hadn't done much research on Dutchmen's or AT's, so glad to hear people are happy with theirs.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Reading this, I was thinking about how our kids learned when they were little. Make sure they all walk around with you during the first few hook-ups and set-ups. Make sure you teach them the dangerous spots, like the hitch, and to stay back at critical times. Then give them each jobs. Water hose, drain hose, wheel chocks, secure the television, etc, etc. There will be a temptation to send them to the playground while mom and dad do the "hard stuff." Resist that, and get them involved. You 'll be happy you did, they will learn, and each future movement will be easier. Congratulations, and welcome!
Before I got my TT I had a Coleman PUP for many years. Before that was tent camping. Starting with the tent camping I always gave the kids a job to do. By the time they were 12 or so the only things I did were unhitch, level, and crank up the top. they did the rest and at least looked like they enjoyed doing it. Sometimes they even fought over who would get to do a certain task. I'll have to get back to that with the grand-kids and the TT. The oldest is only 5 right now so we'll start off easy.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
Before I got my TT I had a Coleman PUP for many years. Before that was tent camping. Starting with the tent camping I always gave the kids a job to do. By the time they were 12 or so the only things I did were unhitch, level, and crank up the top. they did the rest and at least looked like they enjoyed doing it. Sometimes they even fought over who would get to do a certain task. I'll have to get back to that with the grand-kids and the TT. The oldest is only 5 right now so we'll start off easy.
I started out tent camping with my two when they were 5 & 6, they are now 29 & 30 and still enjoy the outdoors. In fact my DD lives in a cabin the MA woods where power is optional.

By the time we bought the popup they were already in high school and they considered it "sissy" to use it.

We pretty much camped once a month year round until my son started college. I can only think of once that we canceled a trip due to weather. A late spring ice storm put the damper on a canoe camp trip.

Good times!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I started out tent camping with my two when they were 5 & 6, they are now 29 & 30 and still enjoy the outdoors. In fact my DD lives in a cabin the MA woods where power is optional.

By the time we bought the popup they were already in high school and they considered it "sissy" to use it.

We pretty much camped once a month year round until my son started college. I can only think of once that we canceled a trip due to weather. A late spring ice storm put the damper on a canoe camp trip.

Good times!

Aaron
I think my biggest challenge with the grand-kids this summer will be teaching the 5 year old to be patient when fishing. It didn't work too well last year.
DC8Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:42 AM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdhealy4 View Post
I think my biggest challenge with the grand-kids this summer will be teaching the 5 year old to be patient when fishing. It didn't work too well last year.
My wife still isn't allowed to go fishing... she can't keep quiet.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2810bhs, kids, newie, tips